Re: Ext Drive Encrypted Files Deny Access

From: Pop (NOBODY_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 02/04/05

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:56:36 -0800

TB, thank you; that's valuable input and I -think- useful. I -printed- it
out, just in case <g>.
Also: D'oh! I never thought of Google to look for my posts! Forgot all
about it in the mess I've creaeted here.
More info & another question inline. EXCELlent info, BTW!

> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=O%24SHJ7kCFHA.3324%40TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
>
> Anyway, verify that it is not just a ownership issue:
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
===> Been there, read it, tried it, plus lots of other ones that seemed
related but were all about the same kind of advice; no help, but I'm
learning a lot!
   I think I've pretty well eliminated ownership as an issue; quite a few
times, in fact, not believing it.

> If the files really are encrypted with EFS, and you never exported
> the encryption certificate before re-installing the OS:
===> Nope, never did the export: In fact, never mean to leave the encrypted
even.

> If you have access to the user profile folders for the user that
> encrypted the files (on e.g. a BACKUP) and if you remember the
> password for the user that encrypted the data, you might be able
> to save the files.
===> I might just have those. , but, but, but ... it's a lot of CDs so I'll
do that this even ing when I don't feel so busy/confused. Worth a try. It
was I who did the encryption, and I do recall both the username and password
I used.
> http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/
===> Duly bookmarked; looks useful.
   At least I got WinHex, Filemon and a couple other apps back easily,
thanks to your recommendations; thanks again.

===> Yes, if I EVER encrypt again, I SHALL make the necessary backups!!

===> New question:
   This whole thing started out as a problem where, if I so much as let my
cursor land in any file's Summary window, my machine would spontaneously
Restart with the Recovery from a Serious Problem error message upon the
start. And, even after this reinstall, to a formatted disk (by XP), the
problem is STILL there! Subsequent research seems to indicate maybe a bad
piece of hardware, but which the hell one! Desparate, I sent the error to
MS again, and this time it came back and said I have a Driver problem. The
first two times MS had nothing to say, not even a "yeah, I know!" response
<g>.
   Sooo, that's the direction I'm going in now. I DO recall awhile back
that updating an NVIDIA graphics card seemed to slow things down, so for now
I'm off in a driver check. It's easy enough to duplicate the problem, so
verification should be relatively easy. Since it happens on buttons-up over
a file Properties Summary tab, it seems to make sense the graphics card is
as good a starting point, maybe better, than any.

Do you have any comments on the above?
I don't think you'll have to remind me to backup my certs and keys; that's
pretty well ingrained by now <g>!

Regards, and thanks for the references,

Pop

> --
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

  • Re: Ext Drive Encrypted Files Deny Access
    ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... was I who did the encryption, and I do recall both the username and password ... verification should be relatively easy. ... > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway ...
  • Re: ENCRYPTION KEY DISK - LOST DATA
    ... If you can restore the user profile folders for the user that ... Also note that in addition to the encryption problem, ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
  • Re: Encrypted Files
    ... > Also note that in addition to the encryption problem, ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway ...
  • Re: HD format, lost EFS certificates...
    ... > hard drive in order to recover my EFS certificates. ... Also note that in addition to the encryption problem, ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
  • Re: user does not have acces privileges
    ... But now at the new files I should have the right EFS key in my computer. ... That means there is something wrong with the ownership settings and that was ... Or it is only matter if the encryption is combined with the ownership change? ... to reinstall the windows to do that. ...