[Temp Paths] Re: More Before-The-Fact-Isms II, blocking viruses and spyware through NTFS

From: Gordon Fecyk (gordonf_at_pan-am.ca)
Date: 01/25/05

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:56:56 -0600

"Stefan Kanthak" <postmaster@1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa> wrote in message
news:uKdpdmLAFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > > Do 16-bit apps REALLY use %windir%\TEMP\ instead of %TMP% resp.
%TEMP%?
> > > I've never seen this! Do you have the reference to a description
handy?

> > In Win2K SP4, launch a 16-bit app (such as command.com) that can spawn
other
> > processes. Have it spawn CMD.EXE and check the resulting environment of
the
> > launched command prompt. %TEMP% and %TMP% change to %systemroot%\temp.
> > don't believe this happened in Win2K SP3 or earlier (nor do I have
access to
> > a SP3 machine to check at the moment).
>
> Sorry, but this is wrong. I can't reproduce it here (on more than one
system).

start / run / command.com before applying KB840214:

TEMP=C:\WINNT\TEMP
TMP=C:\WINNT\TEMP

start / run / command.com after applying KB840214:

TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\gordonf\LOCALS~1\Temp
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\gordonf\LOCALS~1\Temp

The fix described in KB840214 seems to fix North American Win2K's path for
16-bit apps. It appears to work for Win2K Professional as well as Win2K
Terminal Server.

Well. That's one less ACL headache to deal with.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
What's a PGP Key?  See <http://www.pan-am.ca/free.html>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Media] 8.04 Servers - Wikipedia
    ... Too bad you're spoiling that environment. ... PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: TTTSNBN
    ... but only if you happen to run the Spawn of Satan. ... PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx for full key ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)