Re: malicious software removal tool question

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 01/18/05

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:20:20 -0700

In the past MS has released through Windows Update
code to remove specific worm/virus aftermath.
Now, this release is a generalized form evolved from
those earlier efforts. Today there is a specific list of
the malware for which it is targetted. In the future MS
will be updating that list as is seen to be appropriate.
Do you need it? Today, if you have not been infected
by one of the targetted malware, then it would not do
anything. But are you sure? Also, there are the future
updates, and the fact that if it finds nothing to do then
you have an added assurance.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
"chere" <chere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have xp and sp1 installed. I have a critical update KB890830 listed to
> install. What is this and how do I use it? Do I need to install this?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I am having connectivity problems
    ... Are you telling me that the ZA firewall AND the Windows Firewall was enabled when you installed SP3 via Windows Update? ... This Service "protects" Windows and disallows certain changes to be made (e.g., the changes install SP3 will make), so it should have been disabled prior to installing SP3. ... does the connection problem persist? ...
  • Re: manual MS Update fails (gen. host proc. fail) but works automa
    ... I thought I'd post a quick update to my windows update issue with generic ... Updates were failing for various 'generic host process' errors with various ... The memory was added to the laptop when it had Vista to upgrade from 1 ... unresponsive when you try to install an update from Windows Update or ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6
    ... I stopped it, did a cold boot, and afterward tried windows update, but still ... This was a fresh install on a new hd and has been extremely stable .. ... Proxycfg settings WORKED. ... Microsoft Windows 2000 Operating System Group Policy Result tool ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Windows XP failing
    ... I had a problem where windows update reported that the "Update for Outlook ... 2003 Junk email filter KB905648" had failed to install. ... I am NOT impressed with the fact that the Microsoft "help" has given me such ... A software firewall is a security system that acts as a protective boundary ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Windows XP failing