Re: SNMP.EXE - Good or bad?

From: Malke (noreply_at_invalid.com)
Date: 01/14/05

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:44:01 -0800

Xylophone wrote:

> I have XP Home and use IE6 and Outpost firewall. In Rules Wizard
> Mode, Outpost has just informed me that 'SNMP.EXE' want to make a
> connection, and
> the window telling me this is showing block it. I had no idea what
> this file means and looked it up in Google, but on the results I
> became even more
> confused as to what it is about. So I then clicked block it. What
> does it
> do> Google indicates it has some connection with malware/spyware. Is
> that
> correct? Was I right to block it?

This look pretty clear to me:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/snmp/

It makes sense that it would want to make a connection because it is a
network process. IOW, it's OK. However, to be really sure, scan with
your full-featured current version antivirus (no earlier than 2003)
using updated definitions. If you want to be really thorough, do your
scan in Safe Mode.

Malke

--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: please help. I cannot connect to my outlook express 6
    ... Right click in the command window and choose Select All, ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... If the router is off and you start OE, does OE send and receive email? ... Settings in Outlook Express at Tools>Accts>Mail> ...
  • Re: OT: Computer help!!
    ... IE, Firefox etc. without problems. ... When I lose the connection, I get a network icon in the system ... I've swapped cables with the one on my other machine. ... window and launched it without problems. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Abnormally dropped sessions & running programs
    ... by clicking on the close window button or killing it through Task ... TCP/IP connection to the server via a virtual workstation ... terminate the interactive process is via SIGNOFF or ENDJOB at the ... This java program is trivial and does not represent one of our typical ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc)
  • Re: Abnormally dropped sessions & running programs
    ... by clicking on the close window button or killing it through Task ... TCP/IP connection to the server via a virtual workstation ... terminate the interactive process is via SIGNOFF or ENDJOB at the ... created under a default system user, etc, if a JDBC connection is ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc)