Re: DSL connection - 'TV windows' have disappeared

From: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE (franksaunders_at_mvps.org)
Date: 01/13/05

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:15:47 -0600

"Xylophone" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:u9ujYAY%23EHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
> I have Windows XP Home and use IE6 and OE6 and DSL broadband and
> Outpost freebie firewall. My problem is that the two 'TV windows' in
> the taskbar, showing I am connected, were there, but are no longer
> there, and I would like to know why.
>
> Immediately prior to this problem manifesting itself, my most recent
> activity on my Dell PC that might impact on the problem was as
> follows:
>
> 1. Via Windows Update I chose to install Microsoft's Free
> AntiSpyware Beta, partly as it is recommended by Fred Langa for use
> in conjunction with the other spyware programs I use: principally
> Ad-Aware (freebie), Spybot, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard.
>
> 2. Via TweakXP.com, I deleted the most irritating 'A network
> cable is unplugged' icon from the taskbar, by deleting the registry
> key they referred to, being:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}
>
> and restarting the PC. I failed, however, to backup the key. After
> restarting, the icon (two 'TV windows' with a red x between them had
> gone, but, I eventually noticed, so had, my DSLMon 'TV windows'.
>
> I suspect No 2, above, has had a hand in their disappearance, but as
> No 1 is also a possibility, that is why I have posted in this NG (if
> that is not relevant, I have also posted in the IE6 NG, as I cannot
> think of where else to do so re connecting to the internet). In this
> case, restoring the key should have been a straightforward and not a
> dangerous procedure. But I have no backup to merge. I could create
> a new key, as per the above at 2, in Regedit.exe, but thereafter I
> haven't a clue.
>
> Advice/solutions?

Start | Connect To
Right click the connectoid and choose Properties. There should be a box to
show icon in the notification area.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email

  • Re: DSL connection - TV windows have disappeared
    ... > Outpost freebie firewall. ... > cable is unplugged' icon from the taskbar, ... > gone, but, I eventually noticed, so had, my DSLMon 'TV windows'. ... > think of where else to do so re connecting to the internet). ...
  • RE: DirectDBNotifyWndProc
    ... I run Windows XP Home, SP2, fully updated, with NOD32 antivirus and Windows ... I dont ... Whenever it runs at the taskbar, ... connecting, EVEN if I managed to close them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ActiveSync 4.1 Still does not work...
    ... ActiveSync shows it is connecting but never connects. ... Setting the Tray notification on the Windows Mobile based Device shows ... Tried 8 different USB ports including those directly attached to the ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: dropping partial connection--cant browse
    ... Assuming Windows XP... ... Winsock corruption *should* also prevent Outlook, ... from connecting, but you might try Winsock XP Fix from ...
  • Re: Trolling the Goss.
    ... The rest only turned up in a digression about connecting different   ... only one, and no more, computer is to be connected to internet), but   ... I'll look at Linux if it can replace windoze for what   ... You could consider using a new small-size off-the-shelf Windows ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)