From: Steve Riley [MSFT] (
Date: 12/29/04

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:07:08 -0800

If your worry is about others using your computer, wouldn't simply not allowing
anyone to use it be the best thing to do?

Steve Riley

> Hi there, I've just downloaded MSN messenger version 6.2.0137. It
> works fine, though the thing that is annoying me is that when anyone
> opens up me Messenger all they have to do is click on "sign in" and it
> automatically signs into my account. How can I disable that? I have
> been to the "tools" menu, "general" tab and unticked the "allow
> automatic sign in when connected to the net" however still when I
> start up my messenger all someone has to do is click sign in and they
> get into my account. My computer also has Windows Messenger in it.
> Hope someone can help me on this matter.
> "Steve Clark [MSFT]" wrote:
>> I did some more digging around here, and you can probably address the
>> auto-sign in thing under the tools-options menu, general tab and
>> uncheck the appropriate boxes there for automatic sign in when
>> windows starts, etc.
>> "HOTMAIL ACCESS" <> wrote in
>> message
>>> How do you disable automatic sign on - ie. it automatically allows
>>> others
>>> click on '' and the password is already entered. I
>>> don't
>>> want
>>> others to use my computer to have access to my email.
>>> Also, how do I remove the older version of MSN messenger when I've
>>> updated to 6.2 version?
>>> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Log In Issue
    ... Probably because you have not set the WINDOWS MESSENGER to not log on at ... Then after I get Hotmail account to log in I get the same ... > issue except passport says that I have logged into a different account? ... > very confused just why MSN will simply log in sometimes and not at other ...
  • Re: Any sign of new version of messenger for XP
    ... Windows Messenger 5.0 is actually considered separate from Windows Messenger ... > to use Outlook default email notification, ... > email account and another accountincluding hotmail. ...
  • Re: Windows Messenger Quits as Soon as opened. Need help.
    ... account, you have to log into it for the first time as an admin account and ... the first time and it is set to limited, ... You'd think Windows Messenger would be smart enough - since I know I'm ... but the password has not been reset and this is a newly ...
  • Re: linsniffer and security
    ... >>he is trying to crack my root password. ... Should I worry? ... terminate his account without notice;) ...
  • Re: Windows Messenger doesnt log me in at startup
    ... dummy account on your computer without admin priv. ... Reboot and login using dummy account. ... >> From within Windows Messenger 5.1 try selecting Tools, Options, ...