Re: Security threat - Unable to update Windows XP

From: PA Bear (PABearMVP_at_gmail.com)
Date: 12/29/04

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:18:38 -0500

You receive Initialization error 0x80072F78 while the Windows Update Web
site is loading:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836985

Also see this recent thread in Windows Update newsgroup:
http://snipurl.com/bn4g

--
WU-specific newsgroup:
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
DENNIS 007 wrote:
> Since Dec 3 I have not been able to update Windows XP Home. As a result
> there are 7 High Priority Updates that have not been added to my computer.
>
> When the computer trys to do an automatic update it fails with the error
> code 80244017. When I try to update from the windows update website it
> fails with erroer code 80072F78.
>
> Please help as my computer is not protected from the issues addressed by
> the 7 updates.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: update site
    ... I used Symantec Client Firewall and fixed the problem ... You receive an "Initialization error 0x800A1391" error message and the Windows Update Web ... | But it never resolve the problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: update site
    ... You receive an "Initialization error 0x800A1391" error message and the ... Windows Update Newsgroup ... Then I change my IE options by "While the Windows Update Web site is ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: WindowsUpdate Folder corrupted
    ... Problems When Viewing or Downloading From Windows Update ... >> You receive an "Initialization error 0x801901F6" error message while ... >> While the Windows Update Web site is loading, ... >>> find I can not even check the contents of my WindowsUpdate folder. ...
  • Re: Error 0x80072F78
    ... >> You receive Initialization error 0x80072F78 while the Windows Update Web site is ... >> You experience problems when you access the Windows Update Version 5 Web site through ... >> a server that is running ISA Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Problems with XP and Windows Update v5
    ... we have problema with XP clients and new Windows Update v.5 with ISA ... The clients cannot start Windows Update receiving the Initialization error ... In the ISA server 2000 logs we find for each attempt a group of log entries ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.enterprise)