Re: File permissions

From: Roger Abell [MVP] (mvpNoSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 12/14/04

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:54:40 -0700

While one can use scripting, a simple bat file could also do this
In the file, to define and permission the folder you need the two lines

md c:\windows\APW_DATA
cacls c:\windows\APW_DATA /e /t /g users:c

If the application is happy as long as this directory pre-exists with
the loose permissions for Users, and does not insist on redefining
the already existing folder, then you only need to run this once when
logged in as an admin.

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA,  MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
"wayne iddins" <wayne iddins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a very old software package that is to be used on 30 lab machines.
> This is an old authorware 2.1 presentation.  When the package is run it
> creates a directory APW_DATA in the c:\windows directory.  not only does
> this
> directory have to be there the user running the application must have read
> and write permissions to this directory.  Becuase users only get read
> permissions by default I have to manually change the permissions on this
> folder for users to be able to use the software.  I want to know if there
> is
> a way that I can automate this process.  What I have in mind is writing a
> script that will 1) add a shortcut to the start menu 2) create the
> APW_DATA
> folder with read write permissions for all users.  I have been unable to
> figure out how to create or copy APW_DATA with the correct permissions.
> Is
> this possable and how can I do it.  Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Minimum NTFS Permissions - Theres such a thing???
    ... ?2001 Microsoft Corporation. ... HOW TO: Set Minimum NTFS Permissions Required for IIS 5.0 to Work WGID:198 ... " List Folder Contents" ...
  • Re: Unable to delete orphaned 1.5 GB System Restore folder
    ... The fact that the tech support is based in India has nothing to do with the ... If so you may want to leave this folder alone. ... down to all children folders because i can set those permissions to ... try deleting from the command line using system by using the AT ...
  • Re: Unable to delete orphaned 1.5 GB System Restore folder
    ... The only computers i fix are my own. ... If so you may want to leave this folder alone. ... it includes all subdirectories with inherited permissions. ... try deleting from the command line using system by using the AT ...
  • Re: share folder permissions
    ... B Group -> Read only permissions over ALL the sub-folders and files ... List Folder Contents, Read, and Write. ... Usually we just add Domain Admins FC, and Authenticated Users, Change. ... Then whatever is set in the folder structure using NTFS will dicate their effective permissions. ...
  • RE: no OWA
    ... have the correct permissions was the "inetpub" folder. ... Correct the settings in IIS: ... click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)