Re: avoid NTFS or ...

From: Lionel Fourquaux (use-reply-to_at_no-spam.invalid)
Date: 12/08/04

    Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:50:59 +0100

    "Karl Levinson, mvp" <levinson_k@despammed.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news: ewstTBS3EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Not really security reasons. One reason some people prefer FAT is that
    > you
    > can easily boot to a DOS boot floppy or Knoppix CD and have full
    > read/write
    > access to the files, and also FAT is required if you want your system to
    > dual boot to an older OS like Windows 98 or maybe ME.

    For the part about Knoppix, it is possible to create a Linux boot CD with
    full read/write access to NTFS disks (e.g. using
    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/). For DOS, Winternals has a
    r/w driver.

    • Re: avoid NTFS or ...
      ... >> Not really security reasons. ... >> can easily boot to a DOS boot floppy or Knoppix CD and have full ... and also FAT is required if you want your system to ... > full read/write access to NTFS disks (e.g. using ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: freeze problem on normal boot
      ... Do you have both FAT and NTFS in the configuration? ... EWF, starting from scratch by importing the .pmq file, resolving four ... But when I tried to boot the CF on the target, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
    • fsck.vfat malloc trouble
      ... chkdsk locked up the box while checking the first percent of the disk. ... There are differences between boot sector and its backup. ... Use first FAT ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: OT: Windows question
      ... the boot screen and just goes on and on forever. ... I know the fat table is ... If you have Windows 98 ... you need to run it as an upgrade over the top and not a clean install. ...
      (rec.sport.paintball)
    • Re: hal.dll error on unbootable partition
      ... I can no longer boot to my FAT32 WinXP partition, ... Number of Entries: 1 Flag: 1 ... Res Sectors: 32 ... Secs Per FAT: 0 ...