Re: KB889293 causes malfunction of IE? (MS04-040)

From: Roger Abell (
Date: 12/06/04

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:42:35 -0700

Both ms04-038 and ms04-040 were made available in
two forms for IE 6 Sp1. One form was rollup of only
the security patches, the other (accessed from the second
of the KBs referenced in the sec bulletin) was rollup of
security plus other patches.

I have seen exactly what you report on W2k Sp4 machines
to which the full ms04-038 rollup was applied, but to which
the security patch only form of ms04-040 was applied.
If you download the full form of ms04-040 and apply it,
I have found that the IE misbehaviors go away.

Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA