Re: KB889293 causes malfunction of IE? (MS04-040)

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 12/06/04

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:42:35 -0700

Both ms04-038 and ms04-040 were made available in
two forms for IE 6 Sp1. One form was rollup of only
the security patches, the other (accessed from the second
of the KBs referenced in the sec bulletin) was rollup of
security plus other patches.

I have seen exactly what you report on W2k Sp4 machines
to which the full ms04-038 rollup was applied, but to which
the security patch only form of ms04-040 was applied.
If you download the full form of ms04-040 and apply it,
I have found that the IE misbehaviors go away.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
"shannin" <shannin@nospam.alias> wrote in message
> We had some bad experiences with the newest security update for Windows
> 2000, KB article 889293. This is also known with the name MS04-040
> cumulative security update. This update caused Internet Explorer's "Open
> link in new window" feature to stop functioning. It still spawns a new
> iexplore.exe process, but the original IE hangs and the new IE closes
> after a while without ever showing on the screen. This also seems to cause
> a DCOM event in system log stating that application failed to register
> with DCOM within the timeout period.
>
> So far this wasn't on the list of known issues or caveats.
>
> Sami

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826939)
    ... Article you would not need to install the 826939 update. ... 826939 Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP Is Available ... Windows XP Security Homepage: ...
  • Summary of issues with W2K SP2 Security Rollup - Q311401
    ... I have received one more report about the rollup and Exchange 2000 SP2, ... kicked out of their active session when another person logs in (not ... Go Beyond PARTIAL Security: FREE White Paper ... FREE White Paper shows you how to ensure TOTAL security for your Internet ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Re: Blaster Worm Update
    ... I think thats part of the rollup. ... > I noticed that the security patch for the Blaster virus> is 823980. ... > I subsequently ran another Windows update on my machine ... > Should I try to install 823980 anyway? ...
  • Re: Solaris 10 patches - where are they ?
    ... > There's no recommended and security update. ... There are recommended and security patches (as per the R/S/Y column ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: KB889293 causes malfunction of IE? (MS04-040)
    ... > security plus other patches. ... > to which the full ms04-038 rollup was applied, ... We had our computers up to date just ...
    (microsoft.public.security)