Re: stolen operating system

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 11/23/04

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:01:47 -0500

Muhammad-Ali Clay wrote:
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Dave;
>> Microsoft has no way to track it.
>> If there was a way for Microsoft to track, the people who watch over
>> privacy issues would be all over Microsoft.
>>
>> If you choose not to contact the police, perhaps they will send you a
>> card at Christmas thanking you for the donation.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "dave" <d_zion@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> my laptop might have been stolen, or it is a practical
>>> joke. if i don't get it back in two days i would like to
>>> report to microsoft that the windows system was stolen in
>>> case somebody tries to go online. Does microsoft have a
>>> database of serial numbers of stolen software?
>>> The laptop is not worth bringing in the police and
>>> disrupting our office but i'd like to catch the person if
>>> the computer goes online.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Hi Jupiter, can you help me with Web hosting?
> I've a Web site with the URL http://192.168.10.26/ but I don't want
> this URL, I want a WWW one. Do I need to have a domain and if yes,
> how to do one with XP Pro SP2. Whenever I open the site, I see an
> underconstruction page even I'd deleted the iisstart.htm and have a
> Default.htm page.

Hi - if you have a question, post it as a new thread in a relevant
newsgroup. Your question isn't
relevant in this one, and few people are likely to see it.

That said, you need to register an Internet domain name and have your
ISP/DNS host set up the record you wish.

I wouldn't host a website on your home/office PC, anyway, although it can be
done if you really want. I think it's a security risk - and you are unlikely
to have the infrastructure in place to run anything useful anyway. Hosting
accounts are cheap - I'd look into an external hosting company.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Webhotel for FrontPage 2003 with Windows SharePoint Services
    ... Lars, if you want to find a service provider that will support hoteling you ... should check the Microsoft hosting partner resources listed by Microsoft at ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: Newsservers
    ... I switched to them when Microsoft ... decided to stop hosting their own groups. ... That it's worth maintaining the Internet ... All of my hopes for the future were destroyed by that clip. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Sky on 360
    ... not have a sports subscription. ... Why would Microsoft host it? ... but we are all too geeky to think of the word hosting as anything other than ... ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)
  • Re: Newsservers
    ... You appear to be using eternal-september. ... I switched to them when Microsoft ... decided to stop hosting their own groups. ... That it's worth maintaining the Internet ...