Re: How do I check my computer for websites viewed?

From: Vanguard (no_email)
Date: 11/21/04

    Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:55:56 -0600

    news:YVVnd.124287$HA.108036@attbi_s01...
    > You can try to use a file recovery tool to see what he has deleted
    > looking at the dates/times of cookies, etc or there are tools such as
    > index.dat viewer that can view the cached info such as cookies/history
    > in the user's index.dat files though users can use a program to
    > cleanse those files also. The links below should help. --- Steve
    >
    > http://www.acesoft.net/index.dat%20viewer/index.dat_viewer.htm --
    > index.dat viewer.
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html -- free
    > data recovery tools that can work if the drive has not been wiped with
    > a security tool.
    >
    > "Deesato" <Deesato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> My brother uses my laptop from time to time and I think he's checking
    >> some
    >> shady sites. He knows to delete all cookies and recently viewed
    >> files so if
    >> I check I can't see what he's been viewing. Is there another way I
    >> can see
    >> what websites he's been on? Any information provided would be
    >> greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Look in your firewall's logfile regarding connections which should show
    what was the remote host to which your laptop connected. Be sure your
    brother's account is NOT an admin account. If he has your account's
    password, change it and make it a strong one he won't guess.

    You could also review the browser's History list (if your bro doesn't
    wipe it).

    Put a cable on the laptop so it is chained to a public area so he can't
    hide in a dark closet to ... well, um ... you know. If the laptop's
    location is constrained to the kitchen or living room then it is
    unlikely that he will entertain himself unless he is an exhibitionist.
    There are lots of security kits you can get for a laptop to keep it one
    physical location.

    ********  Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others  ********

    • Re: How do I check my computer for websites viewed?
      ... You can try to use a file recovery tool to see what he has deleted looking ... at the dates/times of cookies, etc or there are tools such as index.dat ... viewer that can view the cached info such as cookies/history in the user's ... He knows to delete all cookies and recently viewed files so ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: SSL
      ... but are your Cookies on? ... Bruce ... There is no proxy/firewall...I do have Norton Internet ... setting on the laptop. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: X error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
      ... The X servers are on Nevada B75 on a laptop and a patched S10 on W2100z ... use trusted cookies. ... cookies, which the X Win32 dont expect and your application do not work ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • cookies
      ... On my old laptop I have Win98 and IE5.5sp2. ... cookies that I did not want on my pc. ... Is this something new with WinXP/IE6? ... when I decline to accept the cookies. ...
    • Re: SSL
      ... >Probably been there-done that, but are your Cookies on? ... >There is no proxy/firewall...I do have Norton Internet ... >setting on the laptop. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)