DNS Resolver question.

From: Stephen (stephenjobs_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/29/04

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:06:30 -0700

Hi all,
Thanks Karl for your previous reply but I was not clear in my previous
posts.

I am running a windows service that is monitoring the requests made on DNS
(port 53) when the request comes in. (service running on DNS server...)

Suppose a Web browser from a local machine (source is port: abcd IP:
m.n.o.p)
trying to connect to someplace (maybe google) whose ip: (f.g.h.i) and the
request is going through port "53" at your local DNS server (w.x.y.z)

can the DNS Server eventhough it can find ip: (f.g.h.i) in its table send a
response back to the local machine on (source port: "abcd" IP:
m.n.o.p)
saying "no--- you are always redirected to a.b.c.d which is an internal
(LAN)
machine"

So the machines involved here are:
DNS server : port 53, ip (w.x.y.z)
Requesting machine: port abcd, ip (m.n.o.p)
Redirected machine: port 80, ip (a.b.c.d)

can this be done using the windows service or does it require someother
process?

Hope I am making sense this time.
Thanks,
Stephen.

Relevant Pages

  • multiple threads waiting for request - Windows Service
    ... I would like to implement a windows service which forks a configurable ... number of threads which all siten to the same port and reply to requests ...
  • Re: Web Chaining - Ausgehender Port für SSL
    ... den isa, weil du ihre browserkonfigurationen angepasst hast. ... somit schickt dein isa die requests an den squid und bittet jenen ... auseinandernimmt und je nach Aufbau an den entsprechenden Port ... Also bekommt der upstream-Proxy das nur auf die entsprechenden Ports ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.isaserver)
  • Re: ARP question
    ... UDP port 1026, ... As far as I know ARP requests are only made in LANs and it's impossible ... I got 1871 ARP requests, 1870 were from the Cable company, and one was ...
    (Fedora)
  • Host configuration problem?
    ... I have recently set up a server running FreeBSD 6 to host a test web ... memory usage, CPU never dips below 80%ish idle and memory stays pretty ... Apache 2.2.0.6 that serves static content and forwards dynamic requests ... should be established on the same localhost port. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: PPC MSMQ Help!
    ... I believe that Active Sync is the culprit here in blocking requests. ... Here is a snippet about how to allow AS to forward port requests. ... connections being generated from your desktop machine itself, ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)