Re: NIS 2005 prevents net use w: ...

From: Paul Kraemer (PaulKraemer_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/20/04

    Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:33:05 -0700

    Hi Max,

    I permitted SMB in my trusted zone. That took care of all the blocked "File
    Sharing" and "SMB" messages I was seeing in the firewall log file, but my
    startup .bat command...

    net use w: \\MyServer\MyShare /user:MyServer\netuser password /persistent:no

    ...still would not work when I had Norton's personal firewall enabled. This
    command would just hang. I wouldn't get an error message, but the drive
    letter would not be mapped. Anytime that this happened, I was not able to
    turn off or restart my PC without forcing it with the power button (I've
    never had this problem on this pc before).

    Anyway, by trial and error, I learned that I could make my net use command
    work by creating a rule to permit outbound UDP traffic to remote domain (port
    53). By logging the action on this rule, I can see that my net use command
    causes the services.exe process on my pc (local address, service
    192.168.1.66, 0) to send an outbound udp packet to my DNS server (remote
    address, service 192.168.1.2, domain(53)).

    What's strange is this - My pc has two network cards so that I can be on two
    different subnets. The first subnet is my own LAN on which I have assigned
    static IP addresses in the range 192.168.3.x. My PC is on this LAN and so is
    the \\MyServer pc that I am trying to connect to with the 'net use' command.

    The second subnet uses the address range 192.168.1.x. The network card I
    have on this subnet is automatically assigned an IP address (192.168.1.66)
    and a DNS server (192.168.1.2). This subnet gives me my internet connection.
     I have not knowingly done anything to bridge these two network cards.

    My question is, if my net use command only connects me to another
    192.168.3.x computer on my LAN, why is the 192.168.1.x network card on my pc
    even involved in this operation? Why does it try to access my 192.168.1.2
    DNS server? Unless I'm missing something, this DNS server can't possibly
    even be aware of my 192.168.3.x subnet.

    If you or anyone else could clear some of this up for me, I'd really
    appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    "Max Ashton" wrote:

    > Paul Kraemer wrote:
    >

    > Those messages indicate NIS is blocking SMB, Server Message Blocks,
    > which is what windows uses to share files.
    >
    > If you stop it from blocking this in your trusted zone, or even
    > to allow outgoing connections to your file-server, you should be fine.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Max

    • Re: C2960 config - What do the commands do
      ... To enable visible sequence numbering of system logging messages, use the service sequence-numbers command in global configuration mode. ... Configure the system to automatically switch to summer time. ... This sybnet has the same network address what main network (the subnetted one) but longer subnet mask ... For chassis with 64 MAC addresses, STP uses the extended system ID plus a MAC address to make the bridge ID unique for each VLAN. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Page Cannot Be Displayed
      ... Turn all Computers OFF and Unplug the Router from the Power Cord ... Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1: ... Step1: Then Try this Start The RUN Command and type in the following: ... and look for the DNS Server is there is any thing in front of it like Enable ...
    • Re: Master Browser problem
      ... subnet, second subnet is DHCP with no servers on it. ... > SMB on each subnet reporting back to the DMB. ... > All Windows machines by default can act as a master browser, ... > SMB when a browse election occurs. ...
    • Re: Page Cannot Be Displayed
      ... Turn all Computers OFF and Unplug the Router from the Power Cord ... Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1: ... Step1: Then Try this Start The RUN Command and type in the following: ... and look for the DNS Server is there is any thing in front of it like Enable ...
    • Re: MS DNS Subnet Mask Ordering not Working client side
      ... my workstation pings the IP that's in my subnet. ... > Each location is being served by it's own DHCP server and DNS server. ... Subnet Ordering On, Round-Robin Off: ...