Re: NIS 2005 prevents net use w: ...

From: Paul Kraemer (PaulKraemer_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/20/04

    Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:33:05 -0700

    Hi Max,

    I permitted SMB in my trusted zone. That took care of all the blocked "File
    Sharing" and "SMB" messages I was seeing in the firewall log file, but my
    startup .bat command...

    net use w: \\MyServer\MyShare /user:MyServer\netuser password /persistent:no

    ...still would not work when I had Norton's personal firewall enabled. This
    command would just hang. I wouldn't get an error message, but the drive
    letter would not be mapped. Anytime that this happened, I was not able to
    turn off or restart my PC without forcing it with the power button (I've
    never had this problem on this pc before).

    Anyway, by trial and error, I learned that I could make my net use command
    work by creating a rule to permit outbound UDP traffic to remote domain (port
    53). By logging the action on this rule, I can see that my net use command
    causes the services.exe process on my pc (local address, service
    192.168.1.66, 0) to send an outbound udp packet to my DNS server (remote
    address, service 192.168.1.2, domain(53)).

    What's strange is this - My pc has two network cards so that I can be on two
    different subnets. The first subnet is my own LAN on which I have assigned
    static IP addresses in the range 192.168.3.x. My PC is on this LAN and so is
    the \\MyServer pc that I am trying to connect to with the 'net use' command.

    The second subnet uses the address range 192.168.1.x. The network card I
    have on this subnet is automatically assigned an IP address (192.168.1.66)
    and a DNS server (192.168.1.2). This subnet gives me my internet connection.
     I have not knowingly done anything to bridge these two network cards.

    My question is, if my net use command only connects me to another
    192.168.3.x computer on my LAN, why is the 192.168.1.x network card on my pc
    even involved in this operation? Why does it try to access my 192.168.1.2
    DNS server? Unless I'm missing something, this DNS server can't possibly
    even be aware of my 192.168.3.x subnet.

    If you or anyone else could clear some of this up for me, I'd really
    appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Paul