Re: firewall - software

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 10/17/04

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:01:56 -0400

D@annyBoy wrote:
> connecting to the net via a wireless adsl router
>
> do I need to install a firewall (zone alarm) against attacks?

You need something, but in addition to the other replies, I'd also suggest
you harden your wireless security as much as possible. If it doesn't support
WPA, at least force128-bit WEP, rename the SSID and hide it, and make sure
you've changed the default password on the access point.

Another/additional option might be to allow wireless connections only from
specific MAC addresses -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Please help with WAP54G
    ... >>The main router is a Netgear MR814 with wireless disabled. ... Don't put the WAP54G in the middle of the DHCP range. ... >>Prior to connecting the WAP54G to the network, I gave it the IP address ... > updates would cause the card to refuse to connect. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: WIRELESS THEFT
    ... > Subject: Re: WIRELESS THEFT ... > music concert. ... > of those signals as Unauthorized Access (nevermind that there may well be ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: LocalHost ping fails after removing spyware
    ... (connecting via NETGEAR Wireless router to Cable modem, ... "Jason Bennett" wrote: ...
  • Re: Ask EU numpty-level computer/internet
    ... For broadband, she'll need some device that connects to the internet, and a way of connecting the computer to it. ... The device is a router/ADSL MoDem (be wary - you _can_ get routers, especially wireless ones, that _don't_ include the ADSL MoDem part), and the way of connecting to it is either wireless or wired. ... I say this because things are a lot _easier_, support will be easier to find. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Home network question
    ... I have just purchased a new laptop that has wireless capabilities ... I have no problem connecting wirelessly to the ... Zone Alarm is a possibility for the cause. ...