RE: Norton vs Windows Security Center

From: DeBorA (DeBorA_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/08/04

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:55:08 -0700

I am sticking with Norton now it is working again, but if it give me further
problems I will take a look at AVG and thanks for the advice.

"TheBFG" wrote:

> What version of Norton are you using? If it is 2003 it has issues with SP2
> If I were you I'd dump it ( if your subscription is due soon) and go for AVG
> free.
> I did this a while ago and have no trouble getting updates for it. It has
> protected me well enough and uses less resources
>
> "DeBorA" wrote:
>
> > Norton Anti Virus Liveupdate won't update definitions. (I did download and
> > uninstall/reinstall latest ver Liveupdate). Norton Tech advice says if you
> > have installed Windows XP Service PK 2, there is a fix get it through
> > Liveupdate? What? Question why don't I just dump Norton and run with Windows
> > Security Center it says it has Virus Protection and Firewall and its auto
> > update appears to work. Would I be reasonably protected?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NO HELP FOR AVG FREE EDITION
    ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect ... To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, ... So here I am - AVG makes my computer lag and not open mail or various ...
  • Re: McAfee vs Norton
    ... The latest version, plus weekly updates, to either McAfee or Norton will ... provide pretty good protection. ... you also need to install all windows critical updates. ...
  • Re: Windows xp (Home Edition) updates. Yes or no???
    ... Downloading and installing the critical updates ... provides protection for you computer in case a nasty does get through the ... Norton, and Earthlink are not perfect and someday you ...
  • Re: Errors in Outlook Express since Windows Update April 2007
    ... Without Norton there is no problem but, once I put Norton back, the ... I uninstalled the last 4 updates and still have this problem also. ... To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, ... compact all folders in the old ...
  • Re: Norton Prevents e-mail download
    ... Run Norton LiveUpdate manually and repeatedly until you get the 'No additional updates available' prompt. ... It provides no additional protection. ... Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. ... Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)