Re: What is the best antivirus?

From: Trafton (traftonofjj2SPAM_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/02/04

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:26:30 -0700

Hi,

I don't generally answer questions like this with an exact answer, and I
will not this time, either. Although I hold my own personal opinions, the
fact is that there isn't really a "best" antivirus program out there. Some
are better than others, but most will be adequate to protect the average
user. Most home users have a similar set-up, which is why in many cases it
is easier to choose an antivirus program for them. Since you gave no
scenario, I will assume that you are among the home users group. If not,
this information does not apply to you.

There is an old saying that says 10% of viruses cause 80% of infections;
this has been around for ages, and remains more or less true. An industry
standard list of what viruses are currently spreading called the WildList
has about 1,000 listed. Other viruses not listed also cause infections, but
most infections are caused by viruses on this list. Most antivirus programs
can detect almost all, if not all, of the entries on the WildList. Virus
Bulletin, an industry magazine, periodically holds tests to see how certain
antivirus programs can detect entries on the WildList. You can find the
results here:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml

If you are looking for temporary protection before getting an antivirus
program, you could try Grisoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/). It's
probably the most commonly used free antivirus program, and generally scores
well on VB's tests.

I'd recommend looking through VB's site, plus reviews in magazines like PC
Magazine, before making a decision. However, most antivirus programs detect
the most common threats out there. Whatever product fits your needs and
price range is probably the best product for you, although it never hurts to
check sources like VB's 100% test.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Benjamin "Trafton" Johnstone-Anderson
Microsoft MVP, Windows Security
Security Manifest: www.msmvps.com/trafton/

> Im trying to get an antivirus but first I would like to
> know which one offers the best security and stability.
> Please help me.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outlook and irrational virus fears
    ... in this message, I am using the word "virus" to refer to computer viruses, worms, trojans, ... them are written specifically to exploit vulnerabilities in Outlook. ... And not just any antivirus program: ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Viruses
    ... antivirus program with up-to-date virus definitions will not allow a defined ... not all viruses and worms have had detection definitions ... Updates don't kill viruses noted in the log file. ... infection; just putting a floppy in the drive was enough to transfer a virus ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Are Antivirus software companies like the Mafia?
    ... Viruses require user intervention to spread - some ... a coincidence would entail some sort of similarity of unusual nature. ... > antivirus program like this one: ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Which A/V to use?
    ... fact is that there isn't really a "best" antivirus program out there. ... There is an old saying that says 10% of viruses cause 80% of infections; ... standard list of what viruses are currently spreading called the WildList ... Magazine, before making a decision. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)
  • Re: attachment and e-mail where to report these security issues?
    ... Yes - the antivirus program is a good place to originate notifications about viruses, ... I sense from this forum that we mostly believe the ISPs are good citizens ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)