Re: Javascript

From: Tom Pepper Willett (tompepper_at_mvps.org)
Date: 10/01/04

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:29:30 -0500

Java and Javascript are two different things.

Java, developed under the Sun Microsystems brand, is a full-fledged
object-oriented programming language. It can be used to create standalone
applications and a special type of mini application, called an applet.
Applets are downloaded as separate files to your browser alongside an HTML
document, and provide an infinite variety of added functionality to the Web
site you are visiting. The displayed results of applets can appear to be
embedded in an HTML page (e.g., the scrolling banner message that is so
common on Java-enhanced sites), but the Java code arrives as a separate
file.

JavaScript, developed by Netscape, is a smaller language that does not
create applets or standalone applications. In its most common form today,
JavaScript resides inside HTML documents, and can provide levels of
interactivity far beyond typically flat HTML pages -- without the need for
server-based CGI (Common Gateway Interface) programs.

Tom
"PoEt03" <scazi39@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| bcoz window XP with service pack 2 dosen't have java ...so u have to
| download the latest java script
|
| "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hello,
| >
| > I recently installed service pack 2 on windows XP and I now have a
problem
| > with my javascript shortcuts.
| >
| > For example, if I go to start-run and type something like
| > javascript:window.location="http://www.google.ca"; before sp2 this would
| > of
| > opened up a browser window and brought it to google now a browser window
| > flashes on the screen quickly and disappears and a sounds is played.
| >
| > I have tried changing many of the security settings (allow scripts from
| > MyComputer, disabling pop-up blocker etc...) but nothing seems to work.
| >
| > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

  • Re: Connect to Web interface to process data
    ... >>> I would like to use Java to connect to a Web page. ... > http://bioinfo.cis.nctu.edu.tw/service/gprm/) it seems to be Javascript, ... to an otherwise fully functional HTML form element. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Attempt to de-mystify AJAX
    ... I jumped into Java Server Faces because you could supposedly use it without JSP, using straight java code for everything. ... And since it is still an approach to client event handling on the server, it is suggested to incorporate javascript where needed. ... Java doesn't run in the browser and interact with the DOM. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Service Pack 2, file:///C:/index.htm Javascript blocked disabled
    ... Although this SP2 issue also occurs with Java, Java and Javascript are not ... I had a similar situtation with local HTML files used as custom start ... It doesn't specify where in the HTML file it should go, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Java Applet pulled from VMS Web Server
    ... Java Applet JAR file are not "surfaced" by AJAX? ... 2a) Created a socket and connect back to the VMS server that is hosting the ... Are you really saying that Javascript is incapable of accessing any of the ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Java -> ActionScript?
    ... Performance in Groovy aufs Korn genommen... ... da ich JavaScript und Java kannte. ... gibt es eben eine MissingMethodException zur Laufzeit und gut ist. ...
    (de.comp.lang.java)