Re: spywarestormer

From: Tim Holman \(MVP - Security\) (tim_holman_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:13:28 +0100

Hmmm... the www.spywarestormer.com website tells me I have 46 infections
too, but it's just a jpeg on a web page, not an interfactive spyware
scanning process, so I wouldn't worry about it !
The catch is that although you can SCAN for free, to actually fix the issues
you need to purchase a copy.

Here's my 2 pennies - these are all FREE, reputable utilities...

Getting rid of the problem...
-----------------------------

1) Download and run HijackThis (HJT)
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html
2) Verify the files that you see in the HJT log using
http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php
3) Use HJT to remove offending files
4) Install and run LavaSoft AdAware -
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
5) Run a full virus scan in Safe Mode, or use Stinger -
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
6) For specific virus infections, manual instructions may need to be
followed - post up what (if anything) is detected and we will advise

Stopping it happen again..
--------------------------

1) Download a pop-up blocker - eg toolbar.google.com
2) Install Lavasoft AdAware and run regular scans, or just leave it and
have it handy for when problems start recurring.
3) Keep your AV software up to date
4) Enable Internet Connection Firewall
5) Stay vigilant. Don't bother opening non-work related email attachments,
or install an on-access virus scanner so that it doesn't matter if you do.
6) Keep up to date with the latest threat trends -
http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n040920b.html
7) Look at a host IPS - eg www.prevx.com to cover your machine between when
a virus hits the wild and when a patch is finally released that fixes it.
Average time is roughly 6 days.
8) ..and finally, make sure all your patches are up to date. The MSBA is
very good at this -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

"Bazzer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just had a popup frome spyware telling me spyware
> has found 46 infections in my computer and is prompting
> me to scan my pc now FREE of charge and goes on to say by
> scanning I agree to spyware end user license agreement.
> Can anyone tell me this is safe.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Just when you think youd seen it all.....
    ... I had a system from a friend that had almost 200 ... virus infections not counting the spyware, ... E-mail from a relative and click on the virus attachment. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Degraded Performance after Virus Removal
    ... Virus and various spyware. ... Restore work at all. ... You say "Virus and various spyware," plural, but you don't say how ... If you have multiple infections, ...
  • computer freezing
    ... uninstalling and reinstalling Word. ... I'd say you've likely got virus and/or spyware ... infections, and/or your OS is otherwise corrupted. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • Re: Cool Web Search - Info Required
    ... > Is Cool Web Search spyware classed as a virus and if so would Symantec ... Here is some information about how infections can happen: ... Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ...
  • Re: no longer true
    ... protected people from contracting spyware infections. ... they still only recognize infections known up until yesterday. ... don't know that they don't know, their only protection is their cheap ... $25 router (which has no firewall), ...