Re: Windows 2003 Server security vs Red hat Linux

From: Karl Levinson [x y], mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:39:08 -0700

"Jeff Cochran" wrote:

> You get the idea. If you pitch Windows as the best solution across
> the board and they're hammering security, it's easier to come out
> ahead. Secuirty is rarely the deciding factor in platform choice.

Agreed. Using Gartner reports may not be the best idea, as searching Google
shows you plenty of Gartner statements recommending against use of Microsoft,
IIS, etc.

www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+linux+time+patch+vulnerability+gartner

Decisions of Windows versus Linux for OS is better decided based on what
your current support staff knows, and what your technology needs are. A
Windows system secured by someone who knows how to do it is more secure than
a Linux system secured by someone who doesn't, and vice versa. Both OSes can
be very secure or wildly insecure, depending on the admin and management
tools.

If you have applications that require Windows integrated authentication, MS
SQL, OWA for email, .ASP, etc., going to Linux may not be the best choice.
If you decide that your users and support staff would have trouble migrating
to using Linux for workstations, then you may also find that there are
advantages to keeping the servers on Windows as well, such as a single vendor
to blame when things go wrong.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • FTP DOWNLOAD! More than 6500 CRACKED SOFTWARE(CAD,CAE,CAM,ED
    ... Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005 ... DASSAULT SYSTEMES CAA ENOVIA LCA V5R13 ... ALTAIR.OPTISTRUCT V5.1 for LINUX ... ANSYS V8.0 FOR WINDOWS ...
  • Linux for Senior Citizens
    ... Linux for Senior Citizens ... For such people, I believe, Windows really is a better option: ... The kernel manages all the hardware and also looks after all running ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • Re: [SLE] Developing a Real Time Data System
    ... The KBasic License is valid for both operating systems: Windows and Linux. ... Modern BASIC language ... chapters learning about the programming language. ...
    (SuSE)