Disable COM+ MSDTC

From: d (d.treep_at_pinkroccade.com)
Date: 09/28/04

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:13:22 +0200

Hi there,

Out of the box installation of Windows 2000 server \W2003 Server, installs
and enables the following services:

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Distributed Link Tracking Server

Distributed Link Tracking Client

COM+ Event System

I am aware that these services are used for many web services and with SQL
server. I also suspect these services are used for a multiple of "built in"
services especially when managing remote servers.

However I am unable to find a document which states either:

A. In what cases are these services necessary and in what cases these
services may be disabled.

B. Which services depend on MSDTC and COM+

We are contemplating disabling these services on some servers: Citrix
servers\ Domain Controllers and similar systems.

Has anyone found some information over these services or has experimented in
disabling these services in a production environment?

P.S. any tips with helping securing \ disabling these services are welcome,
especially any information regarding the lost functionality are welcome.

Regards,

Daniel