Re: findfast

From: Vanguardx (see_signature)
Date: 09/27/04

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:26:47 -0500

"chic" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:3ac001c4a4b5$35e3bd90$a401280a@phx.gbl:
> On several occaisions I hear my Iomega disk making noise
> when I'm not using it. I usually ignore it. Today I am
> annoyed because my word processor is hesitating while I
> type. I do a ctrl-alt-del and check my resources. I see
> findfast.exe taking up to 25% of resources. IS THIS
> EVIDENCE OF ROGUE (virus, spyware, intruder) ACTIVITY or
> is it my failure to optimize my system? At one time I
> had adware, but I have been clean the last 2 or 3 times I
> checked.

FindFast is a file indexing utility included in Microsoft Office (if you
chose to install it and you chose to load it). It's been awhile since I
used the older version of MS Office that included FindFast but then
maybe it is still included when you install on a non-NT based version of
Windows (which already provide a file indexing service but which you
might also want to disable). Isn't there a shortcut to load it in the
Startup group?

It would help if you actually identified "my word processor". I'm just
guessing that it is MS Word and that it is some older version or running
on a 95/DOS-based version of Windows.

********  Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others  ********