Re: findfast

From: Tim Holman (tim_holman_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/27/04

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:22:13 +0100

Just disable findfast... It shouldn't be enabled on slower drives (eg ZIPs,
floppies) anyway.
To disable:
  a.. In Control Panel
  b.. Select Add / Remove Programs
  c.. Select Add / Remove Windows Components
  d.. Uncheck the Indexing Service
or change the Indexing Service from Automatic to Manual in the Services
console.

"chic" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On several occaisions I hear my Iomega disk making noise
> when I'm not using it. I usually ignore it. Today I am
> annoyed because my word processor is hesitating while I
> type. I do a ctrl-alt-del and check my resources. I see
> findfast.exe taking up to 25% of resources. IS THIS
> EVIDENCE OF ROGUE (virus, spyware, intruder) ACTIVITY or
> is it my failure to optimize my system? At one time I
> had adware, but I have been clean the last 2 or 3 times I
> checked.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Widows Explorer Search Option
    ... Select, Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings ... You can then check what file extensions are used for a few music files ... Indexing Service -Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: hard drive activity/greenl ight
    ... On control panel, under administrative services, the indexing service ... not sure I have Windows search 4.0 either. ... optional installation from the Microsoft Update web site), ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: CISvc.exe chewing up my cpu time
    ... Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools ... ... relevant in a network situation with multiple servers. ... I started the Indexing Service and my problem went away for a while ... foreground process actually requiring cpu time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Temporary Internet File folder
    ... With the default Category Control Panel: ... Select "Indexing Service" ... >Windows XP search freezes at the "Local ...
  • Re: Widows Explorer Search Option
    ... Indexing Service -Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services ... in the Control Panel/System and Administration tab - BUT I don't have ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)