Re: unknown filename fpgcel.exe

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 09/26/04

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:06:04 -0400

If you can't find that file name in a www.google.com search, and you're sure
you're spelling it correctly, then it's almost certainly something bad. The
way to identify what exactly it is is to use AV [not spybot] with the latest
updates, such as www.grisoft.com which is free if you have no anti-virus,
and http://housecall.antivirus.com for a second opinion scan if you used AV
and found nothing. You can also submit that file to one or more AV vendors
via email or their web page.

"Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sygate personal firewall was just installed on the 'other
> half's' laptop, and I'm tracking down everything that wants
> to get outside access, when fgpcel.exe tried to send to
> www.microsoft.com on port 80
> What is this program? Why is it trying to connect?
>
> Also, how do I tell what is killing the firewall process?
> It is fairly alarming to see the firewall disappear from
> the systray and the network connection immediately go
> active... Spybot search and destroy has not found anything.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Ask Windows XP Expert Walter Clayton About Spyware
    ... If all you used was Spybot Search and Destroy, ... It contains advice ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: SpyBot stops half-way
    ... Strange - I use Spybot Search and Destroy in varying situations. ... any of the "suspect" anti=spyware applications out there by looking to this ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: why do you not recommend SpySweeper ?
    ... > i think i have spyware on my computer,it will not leave my homepage ... immunized with Spybot Search and Destroy when you updated it and scanned ... disable your Windows Messenger service. ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ...
  • Re: Pop-Up regarding Windows Patch
    ... Then there is Spybot Search & Destroy from www.safer-networking.org Also ... which you might find interesting: Spyware Blaster: ... It is updated somewhat less frequently than Ad-aware. ... > firewall software and was wondering if I should get ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: spyware blaster
    ... I recommend using it, Spybot Search And Destroy, ... disable your Windows Messenger service. ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ... I see that AntiVirus software is an absolute necessity. ...