Re: Please explain secure file deletion methods

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 09/23/04

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:19:33 -0400

Many of those tools also handle wiping files that aren't there, by wiping
free space, slack space, swap file, etc. Check out BCwipe from
www.jetico.com There are others as well. Doing this really only helps if
someone has unrestricted physical access to your computer or your hard
drive. It is very very unlikely anyone would retrieve those files remotely.

"Headtheball" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am totally flumoxed by the term 'Secure Deletion'. There are tools that
> say that they can delete files and folders beyond recovery using military
> strength algorithms etc etc, that is fine for files that you can access
but
> what do you do with the ones that are still lurking on your hard drive,
how
> do you get rid of those? I have run several erase progs but have still
been
> easily able to recover so called deleted files and folders using a program
> called 'Recover my Files'. Do you have to undelete them before you can
wipe
> them? Can anyone please explain what to do?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FAT32 or NTFS?
    ... >>10% wastage on 10 volumes is one whole hard disk wasted. ... >uncertainty about free space. ... Corrupt data can be better than none, ... "you can only recover part of the database". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Sure delete
    ... I'm sure the free space of my HD is unrecoverable, but do existing files keep any track of the former data recorded in their physical sectors? ... Namely, before I ran Sure Delete the free sectors were currently re-used to record new or modified files, so perhaps they have been recorded only 1,2 or 3 times and so some highlevel recovery utility would be able to recover their previous content. ... Does formatting cancel any track of the previous content? ... I don't know about command line options for Sure Delete but I can assure you that no one has ever been able to recover files on a securely wiped drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: I need to defrag my Exchange database and need some advice using eseutil
    ... I set my DIR settings to "0" before I run the eseutil. ... more than just overnight for the free space to become available to recover. ... logically deleting mailboxes that add up to 6GB isnt ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Beagle Brick
    ... "The disc has no more available space" ... You haven't run DiscKnight with the recover deleted files option set? ... As what this does it turn *all* the free space on drive into files, so any deleted data can be manually searched for and recovered. ... If that is the case you will have a $.Lost+Found directory, which you should delete to recover the free space. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)