Re: Please explain secure file deletion methods

From: PA Bear (PABear_at_mvps.org)
Date: 09/23/04

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:08:19 -0400

<ROFL>

www.iREALLYshouldgotobed.mvp

Headtheball wrote:
> I am neurotic
> "Paul Adare - MVP - Microsoft Virtual PC" <padare@newsguy.com> wrote in
> message news:MPG.1bbc6f6864d816fc989a8f@msnews.microsoft.com...
>> In article <#bVqiMVoEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, in the
>> microsoft.public.security news group, Headtheball <noanswer@hotmail.com>
>> says...
>>
>>> I have run a program called Recover my files and discovered loads and
>>> loads
>>> of files that I thought that I had deleted. I ran a program called
>>> resoration (as advised by another NG user but this didn't find any of
>>> the
>>> files that Recover my files did only recently deleted files. I ran
>>> several
>>> other progs that claimed to overwrite previously deleted files but when
>>> ran Recover my files none of them had been overwritten. Nothing that I
>>> do
>>> seems to get rid of these files. What on earth can I do?
>>>

>> Why is this such a big concern? In the other thread you'd posted that
>> you're using XP Home. If security is such a big concern, to the point
>> that you need DOD compliant wiping of your hard drive, you should really
>> be looking at XP Pro.
>> Why the fixation on wiping your drive so thoroughly? Is your computer in
>> danger of being stolen? Are you looking to get rid of your computer and
>> you want to make sure that no one can access deleted files on your hard
>> drive?
>> I'm all for security, however, there comes a point of diminishing
>> returns.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Adare
>> rights.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Please explain secure file deletion methods
    ... > other progs that claimed to overwrite previously deleted files but when I ... > seems to get rid of these files. ... that you need DOD compliant wiping of your hard drive, ... I'm all for security, however, there comes a point of diminishing ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Please explain secure file deletion methods
    ... If security is such a big concern, ... >> that you need DOD compliant wiping of your hard drive, ... Are you looking to get rid of your computer and ... >> you want to make sure that no one can access deleted files on your hard ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Over 60?-Humor (I hope)
    ... it on the stroke instead? ... ROFL!!! ... Only problem is, I have "lost" my ... All 3 times I had to call security and they ...
    (alt.support.arthritis)
  • Re: Over 60?-Humor (I hope)
    ... it on the stroke instead? ... ROFL!!! ... Only problem is, I have "lost" my ... All 3 times I had to call security and they ...
    (alt.support.arthritis)
  • Re: MORE genius from Chris Coffee Partner Pussy blain.
    ... change pants and call security. ... ROFL ... Latest Tex Obsessed Rating sours to 15: ...
    (alt.coffee)