RE: Broadband Internet Access From Limited Accounts

From: divakartandon (divakartandon_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/22/04

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:01:04 -0700

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Right click in the right pane, select New, String value. Name the new
value KeepRASConnections Double click the new value you created and
enter a "1", without the quotes. Close Regedit and reboot.

Log on to any account that can access the internet and establish the
connection. Leave the connection active. Use Fast User Switching to
switch to the Limited account. The internet connection will still be
active.

"Touchstone" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several logons on my computer which has allowed my to customise the
> layout and configuration of my computer according to the tasks I want to
> perform.
>
> At the moment these are all administrator logons, which the microsoft
> baseline analiser program tells me is bad.
>
> I have one logon which is for simple things like internet browsing. If I
> change the user account type from administrator to limited I can no longer
> gain access to the internet. Why is this and how can I fix it?
>
> I have also read somewhere that you should not connect to the internet from
> an administrator account, is this right?
>
> I run Windows XP and have SP2 installed. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Touchstone.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet Explorer and index.dats
    ... I use a batch file that runs at boot. ... > So if my user account is reflected in the administrators account, ... >> the internal "Administrator" account. ... >> since if you delete the Temporary Internet Files via the Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Password protect folders
    ... account on my computer. ... files and folders without blocking access to the internet. ... what they want in the folder and resetting permissons back. ... counting the built-in Administrator account, ...
  • Re: Going in circles....Please HELP!
    ... run your computer using administrator because of the damage that trojans and other things can do......but my computer is not allowing access to the internet on any account other that my administrator account. ... create an individual user account with the ... to access the internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: how to stop a users internet access???
    ... there are a number of ways to mess up internet communications ... changing settings, then ensuring that their accounts don't have the ... account to "restricted users" but what about blocking internet access? ... You have to be logged on as an Administrator to edit/add/modify Group ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Invasion has locked me out of regedit and maybe taskmanager?
    ... I have been invaded from the Internet on an XP Pro machine. ... The consequences are the when I try to start regedit I get the ... Administrator in Safe mode. ...