Re: SP2 is too restrictive...

From: PA Bear (PABear_at_mvps.org)
Date: 09/22/04

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:32:03 -0400

The solution to your problem may be found both here...

and at http://www.adobe.com/support

--
~PA Bear
Escape wrote:
> I dont know what you´re talking about, but your post didnt help me either.
>
> I still cannot open a pdf-document a friend sent to me! Opening the file
> is
> blocked, and saving is also disabled ("The command failed to execute")
>
> Microsoft suggests right-clicking the file and selecting "unblock", but I
> dont see a way to do this.
>

> "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Keep up with the times and SP2 increased security features.  You're not
>> in
>> Kansas anymore, Toto.  See:
>>
>> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx
>>
>> How the Attachment Manager works in WinXP SP2
>> (applies to IE downloads and streaming media)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883260
>>
>> Detailed description of the data execution prevention feature in Windows
>> XP SP2
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352
>>
>> Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
>>   Browsing Security Enhancements
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx
>>
>> Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
>>   Email Handling
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2email.mspx
>>
>> As for OE attachments, that's been around since Aug-02:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP
>>
>> Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2
>>
>> What You Should Know About Spyware
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
>>
>> AumHa Forums
>> http://forum.aumha.org
>>

>> Escape wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> since I installed sp2 it´s getting me mad: I cannot download most files
>>> with IE (your current security settings do not allow this file to be
>>> downloaded...) even if it is a pdf-file, and in OE I cannot open or save
>>> attachments. IE settings are set to medium, and in OE the attachment
>>> blocking function is disabled.
>>>
>>> The most stupid thing is: I cannot set the security level lower than
>>> "medium", then I get the message (please choose medium or higher)
>>>
>>> So I would be glad if someone could tell me how to disable all this
>>> stuff,
>>> or I shall switch back to SP1...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XP SP2 - trying to update java VM
    ... > Detailed description of the data execution prevention feature in Windows ... > XP SP2 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: CLEAN INSTALL, SP1 AND 2, FOLLOWED BY PROTECTION
    ... Did you disable the Messenger service? ... This has proven to be challenging because I was bombarded so heavily by popups and phantom downloads so much, I redid the clean install at least 3 times yesterday! ... I think I know that SP1 and SP2 are essential, and upon encountering the SP1 download yesterday, I saw that it's been changed to SP1a. ... In any case, downloading SP1a and then SP2 were good at about an 8.5 clip on a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, because both downloads hung toward the end. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Upgrade to English
    ... Vielen dank für deine Antwort. ... Übrigens habe ich eine andere Lösung gefunden: ... (vielleicht ja etwas unsichere als die SP2?) ... das Thema mit dem File Downloads über https war gegessen! ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.inetexplorer.ie6)
  • how to get ready for sp2
    ... We're gearing up for the XPe SP2 release and were wondering where the SP2 ... Will it be available via the public downloads ... reading somewhere that SP2 would be released via the secure oem website ... downloads homepage but am unsure as to if a runtime license or OEM agreement ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: WindowsXp SP2 Slipstream CD
    ... I downloaded and installed the nLite program and then downloaded the WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU file and stored it in a folder that I named Downloads. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)