Re: If I don't install SP2, is my OS secure?

From: Jurren Bouman (jurren_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/20/04

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:24:31 +0200

ken wrote:
> Hi,all
> SP2 caused some problem of windowsupdate, so I
> uninstalled it. I have installed all the patches and
> update program for XP. Is my OS secure without SP2?

No, it's much less secure now. That's why they released SP2, which has
much more security features.

Don't know what kind of problems you had with Windows Update but I would
suggest you install Sp2. More information on how to prepare your
computer for SP2 can be found at:
"Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;windowsxpsp2

--
Jurren Bouman
MVP Windows - Security

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SP2 download?
    ... > needed, install everything, before exposing the PC to the wild. ... Slipstream SP2 into the XP CD and then install from it. ... Once you make your new CD and use it to clean install the machine - clean it ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: outlook express loses body of e-mails with SP2
    ... > I have tried three times to install sp2 and the same ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ...
  • RE: SBS 2003 SP2 fails to install
    ... Windows server 2003 sp2 on SBS and get error message. ... Please try to do clean boot on SBS and then install Windows server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: bad_pool_header Blue Screen Upon Start Up
    ... SP2 and SP2 was downloaded. ... Microsoft Windows XP ... I attempted to install the application from the ... Welcome back to Symantec Online Technical Support. ...
  • Re: Windows update freezes computer
    ... Not sure exactly what the "tech" did in botching the SP2 installation, ... Have ordered the cd of SP2 and will install when received. ... Should I leave all those Hotfix files alone or should I remove them? ... or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)