Re: Client Authentication in IE

From: cjha (cjha_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/17/04

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:39:07 -0700

Hi
Thanks for your response.
I have setup Microsoft Certificate Server on Windows 2000 server. I have a
stand alone root CA on one server and then a subordinate CA on a different
server that is tied up with the root CA.
The IIS is 5.0 and its on a third server. All the servers have Windows 2000
Service Pack 4.
As its a Stand-alone certification authority it does not use certificate
templates.
The following purpose appears on the certificates
Proves your identity to a remote computer

Please let me know if you need anymore information and your help is highly
appreciated

thanks again
Chetan

"Miha Pihler" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you provide some additional information? What CA server did you setup?
> Windows 2000 or Windows 2003? Is this standalone setup or enterprise setup?
> Which template do you use on CA to issue user certificate? What purposes do
> you see in the certificate?
>
> certificate templates http://freeweb.siol.net/mpihler/templates.jpg
> certificate purposes http://freeweb.siol.net/mpihler/certpurpose.jpg
>
> Mike
>
> "cjha" <cjha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I have set up SSL on IIS 5.0 with Client Authentication set up as
> required.
> > I have also added the root CA certificate in the CTL.
> > Now when I request a Client Certificate from the CA server and install it
> in
> > my IE 6.0 it works fine and I can see the certificate in the Tools -
> > - Content - Certificates - Personal list. But when I access the site the
> > Client Authentication popup does not show any of my client certificates in
> > the list. It comes up as blank.
> > Can any one tell me what am I missing. Is there some configuration that I
> > have to do to make the client certificates come up in the list so that I
> can
> > select it.
> > I have tried this in 4 machines and all show the same result.
> >
> > thanks

Relevant Pages