MVPs (or anybody) -- the recent "high priority" updates?

From: Steve Maser (maser_at_umich.removethistoreply.edu)
Date: 09/16/04

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:20:26 -0400

This question has been posted in various forms by various people in
various newsgroups without an authoritative answer.

Can somebody step up to the plate?

Since the release of Service Pack 2 for XP in early August and turning
the "Automatic Updates" button on after restarting from the SP2
install...

There have been 3 (three) "high priority" updates in Windows Update:

1) .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3

2) .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

3) The GDI+ Detection Tool

None of these updates has "automatically installed".

Yet, they are listed as "high priority" updates in Windows Update.

Can somebody either post to say:

1) Yes, these updates have automatically installed on my machine with
Service Pack 2 installed and "automatically install" checked.

2) No -- these specific updates -- even though they are "high
priority" updates -- will *not* automatically install for the following
reason...

Yes -- these updates will *manually* install without a problem, so it's
not like Windows Update isn't "working".

Yet, I've checked with a large number of Windows Admins around Campus
here and - *to a person* - nobody has had any of these "high priority"
updates automatically install.

And we're wondering why not.

Because we're wondering if Automatic Updates is actually broken in SP2.

Which would be a "security" problem.

Thanks!

- Steve

Relevant Pages

  • MVPs (or anybody) -- the recent "high priority" updates?
    ... the "Automatic Updates" button on after restarting from the SP2 ... Service Pack 2 installed and "automatically install" checked. ... not like Windows Update isn't "working". ... Because we're wondering if Automatic Updates is actually broken in SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: FC6 Nightly Yum Updates
    ... I am still trying to figure out how to set up the nightly yum update as the way it was in FC5. ... I can write my own cronjob but there must be a better way to do this in FC6. ... So, perhaps, the thing to do is to edit /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf in such a way that it automatically install new updates? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: 3rd Time Request - MVPs Pls Assist - Installing (dld) option
    ... > the Optional Hardware/Software Updates. ... > whereas if you choose to manully download the High Priority Updates, ... > concise enough - and I have also posted this in the Windows Update ... "You simply cannot download and automatically install Custom Updates ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • V.6 Automatic Updates fail with 0x80070005
    ... I am unable to automatically install the updates from ... The updates are found and displayed, but when I click the update button, I ... Registry permissions on the Windows Update key have been checked. ... Automatic Updates service is Started - Automatic. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: SUS clients download updates but dont automatically install
    ... Read the SUS deployment whitepaper. ... that has automatic updates settings. ... and are set to number 4 (automatically install updates at 6am). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)