Re: Forced autodownload reboots - NOT LEGAL!

From: Colin Nash [MVP] (x_at_x)
Date: 09/16/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:53:21 -0400

news:30e101c49b86$e18b1d10$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> This is a very unhappy IT consultant, who has had several
> Servers I am responsible for have a forced reboot of them
> occur at 3:00am after downloading a security update.
>
> the following is from the EVENT VIEWER:
>
> Restart Required: To complete the installation of the
> following updates, the computer will be restarted within
> five minutes. Until this computer has been restarted,
> Windows cannot search for or download new updates.
> - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB833987)

> I am dismayed at the apparent lack of concern for sites
> operating 24/7 and forcing a reboot of critical server
> systems after an autodownload! I got paged by two sites in
> the middle of the night wanting to know why their Servers
> just crashed!
>
> These reboots should ONLY be done after fair warning and
> be planned.
> When has this policy changed? -it cost one of my
> engineering sites a huge loss in productivity and $$$ due
> to steel pattern cutting robot control files having to be
> reloaded!
> NOT HAPPY!
> This shouldnt be allowed to happen!

I agree with you that all reboots on such a critical system should be
approved and planned, but by AUTOMATING it you are saying "do whatever you
need to do, because I don't want to manually do it"

But I guess this is a good reason to test patches on a test environment
before letting it go into production. Yes, this means that automatic
updates might not be a good idea in your environment. Are you using SUS?
SMS might be a better idea, to allow you more control over what goes onto
your systems and when. Yes it costs $$$ but maybe that's the product that
meets your needs.

Just my take on this...