Re: Forced autodownload reboots - NOT LEGAL!

From: Colin Nash [MVP] (x_at_x)
Date: 09/16/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:53:21 -0400

news:30e101c49b86$e18b1d10$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> This is a very unhappy IT consultant, who has had several
> Servers I am responsible for have a forced reboot of them
> occur at 3:00am after downloading a security update.
>
> the following is from the EVENT VIEWER:
>
> Restart Required: To complete the installation of the
> following updates, the computer will be restarted within
> five minutes. Until this computer has been restarted,
> Windows cannot search for or download new updates.
> - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB833987)

> I am dismayed at the apparent lack of concern for sites
> operating 24/7 and forcing a reboot of critical server
> systems after an autodownload! I got paged by two sites in
> the middle of the night wanting to know why their Servers
> just crashed!
>
> These reboots should ONLY be done after fair warning and
> be planned.
> When has this policy changed? -it cost one of my
> engineering sites a huge loss in productivity and $$$ due
> to steel pattern cutting robot control files having to be
> reloaded!
> NOT HAPPY!
> This shouldnt be allowed to happen!

I agree with you that all reboots on such a critical system should be
approved and planned, but by AUTOMATING it you are saying "do whatever you
need to do, because I don't want to manually do it"

But I guess this is a good reason to test patches on a test environment
before letting it go into production. Yes, this means that automatic
updates might not be a good idea in your environment. Are you using SUS?
SMS might be a better idea, to allow you more control over what goes onto
your systems and when. Yes it costs $$$ but maybe that's the product that
meets your needs.

Just my take on this...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Auto-Updates for production servers
    ... scheduled Automatic Updates installation". ... the servers up to date. ... the 'you need to reboot your server now' ... production servers. ...
  • Re: Page can not be display.....cannot find server or DNS error
    ... reboot the servers and see what happens. ... All updates have been downloaded and installed on the Workstations. ... The only difference was I did Windows Update on 3 of the servers ...
  • Re: tsshutdn causes TS to hang
    ... shutdown goes ok, the TS service is set to autostart, which it does. ... We are managing 15 terminal servers at 12 ... I found 2 servers that reboot nice every night. ... the other one didn’t install any updates for a couple of months. ...
  • Re: Page can not be display.....cannot find server or DNS error
    ... reboot the servers and see what happens. ... All updates have been downloaded and installed on the Workstations. ... Acouple of users said that they were able to get to the web site ... The only difference was I did Windows Update on 3 of the servers this ...
  • Re: Page can not be display.....cannot find server or DNS error
    ... reboot the servers and see what happens. ... All updates have been downloaded and installed on the Workstations. ... The only difference was I did Windows Update on 3 of the servers this ...