Re: XP Pro - Hardware Firewall - Norton Internet Security?

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 09/16/04

Date: 15 Sep 2004 18:43:08 -0500

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:11:08 -0700, Paul Kraemer
<PaulKraemer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am running Windows XP Pro. I just installed a hardware firewall router
>(Linksys BEFSX41) to between my cable modem and my PC. My PC also came with
>Norton Internet Security, which has both a personal firewall and an intrusion
>detection feature. I was just wondering if I should leave these features
>enables or if it is safe to disable them now that I am protected by the
>hardware firewall.
>
>Thanks,
>Paul

Paul,

The router has no knowledge of software running on the computer, so it can't
provide outgoing filtering. Also, one day the bad guys may discover a NAT
exploit. And when you add a second computer, you need a firewall on each, to
protect each from the other, in case one gets infected.

A software firewall, on a computer inside a NAT router, absolutely makes sense.

Cheers,
Chuck