Re: XP Pro - Hardware Firewall - Norton Internet Security?

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 09/16/04

Date: 15 Sep 2004 18:43:08 -0500

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:11:08 -0700, Paul Kraemer
<PaulKraemer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am running Windows XP Pro. I just installed a hardware firewall router
>(Linksys BEFSX41) to between my cable modem and my PC. My PC also came with
>Norton Internet Security, which has both a personal firewall and an intrusion
>detection feature. I was just wondering if I should leave these features
>enables or if it is safe to disable them now that I am protected by the
>hardware firewall.
>
>Thanks,
>Paul

Paul,

The router has no knowledge of software running on the computer, so it can't
provide outgoing filtering. Also, one day the bad guys may discover a NAT
exploit. And when you add a second computer, you need a firewall on each, to
protect each from the other, in case one gets infected.

A software firewall, on a computer inside a NAT router, absolutely makes sense.

Cheers,
Chuck

  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... not visiting dodgy Websites. ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... how long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: OT: Hacker attacks high or is it just me?
    ... >> a hardware firewall which I have no access too. ... >hardware firewall, which I can access logs on (nothing on it except from the ... My hardware router was installed by a technician by the name of Carl who ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)