Re: XP Pro - Hardware Firewall - Norton Internet Security?

From: Lil' Dave (spamyourself_at_virus.net)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:54:32 -0400

Neither XP or XP's SP2 contain any outgoing protection. NIS does.

The router should have the ability to require password entry for accessing
its settings. Set a password you WON'T forget. Yes its possble to access
your router from the inside using a file or script taken from the internet.
"Paul Kraemer" <PaulKraemer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am running Windows XP Pro. I just installed a hardware firewall router
> (Linksys BEFSX41) to between my cable modem and my PC. My PC also came
with
> Norton Internet Security, which has both a personal firewall and an
intrusion
> detection feature. I was just wondering if I should leave these features
> enables or if it is safe to disable them now that I am protected by the
> hardware firewall.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
> --
> Paul Kraemer

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls
    ... I have a 5 machine LAN here at home and I have Astaro Security Linux ... >>I agree with Microsoft's recommendation for a hardware firewall on all ... Then the user finds about port forwarding, and as soon as the user has ... > at the router and cannot get to the computers in the local network. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls
    ... > I agree with Microsoft's recommendation for a hardware firewall on all ... Besides protecting against the MSBlaster worm, a hardware ... Then the user finds about port forwarding, and as soon as the user has ... at the router and cannot get to the computers in the local network. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: How to share the internet connection
    ... >> The connection is very simple, it's only an USB cable between the old ... router/switch provides a hardware firewall. ... way or form is this router a hardware firewall. ... computer on your network requested this incoming attack. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Home safe file sharing (newbie)
    ... And being an idiot regarding routers/hubs and NAT I don't even know if the Dynamode ADSL Bridge Router is NAT or NOT! ... Each PC can access the Internet but I want to share files between each PC but without compromising security re the Internet. ... Each PC has a software firewall (ZoneAlarm) and the Hub/ADSL Modem has a hardware firewall. ...
  • Re: Software vs Hardware firewall for home DSL?
    ... >there any reason to trade up to a hardware firewall for better security ... Get a cable/DSL net-safe router. ... ping times to the CMTS node of 12-18ms. ... left the old Norton Internet Security running for 6 months. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)