Got a virus just by clicking on a URL

From: anonymous_allan (
Date: 09/12/04

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:08:11 -0700

Hmm, I wonder what I have to change in my security
settings for the Internet zone in Internet Explorer to
prevent this from happening to me. I already block HTML in
emails but what happened to you wouldn't have protected
me, I guess.

In any case, thanks for warning us on this. I just put
that Web site in my Restricted Sites zone.

looking at a
>I clicked on this URL, which seems to contain a virus:
>When I ran AVG shortly afterwards, it reported the
js/psyme virus. It was in
>the Temporary Internet Files
>I traced it back to the above URL. It is also known as the
>ecard-hijack(1).htm virus.
>AVG did not complain about it when I clicked on the URL.
>Since the virus was in the Temp Internet Files, it
probably did not do any
>damage. I just cleared the Temp Int Files. Was it ever a
danger to my
>computer while it was in the Temp Int. Files?
>How can I avoid getting a virus just by viviting a
>The Happy Iconoclast

Relevant Pages

  • Re: computer virus usegroups
    ... New Virus Stealing Information from Computer Users ... You can infect ... attempt to download from a Russian website. ... Internet Explorer to protect users of its Internet Explorer browsers ...
  • Re: Virus to Virus Idea
    ... Subject: Virus to Virus Idea ... > plugging a box into the internet does not mean anyone that finds it can> do whatever they please unless you write a disclaimer or lock it down. ... you do not disclaim. ... the legal, LE, and corporate community is so adamant about properly ...
  • Re: why do i keep getting viruses?
    ... Since some of the received messages have large (often virus) ... switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. ... >> You may have spyware/adware infesting your machine, ... >> - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer. ...
  • Re: CoolWebSearch Virus
    ... > I've been hearing a lot about the CoolWebSearch Virus on the Net. ... I don't see where any of the updates address this ... to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser ... Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about ...
  • Re: Sasser-Cant Run Windows Update
    ... > I can't update any virus software or anything. ... Note that Microsoft is not sending you patches in emails nor should you EVER ... Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about ... Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer ...