RE: Hijackers and registry keys

From: MAP (MAP_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/10/04

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:51:01 -0700

"Carri" wrote:

> Could someone please help clarify. We have AVG free
> version and we have Ad-Aware. We run them both pretty much
> daily. Sometimes there seems to be things that attach to
> registry keys. We put it in Quarantine to make sure that
> we don't delete something we shouldn't. But I read that
> everytime the computer restarts it scans the registry and
> fixes any errors so how long should we keep these things
> in Quarantine. There are also files sometimes. When is it
> safe to just delete them? We have like 120 items in
> Quarantine!
> Thanks for any input!
> -Carri

If everything runs normally after you Q them then go ahead and delete them,
I wait about two days unless I reconize what was Q then I delete it right
away.

Relevant Pages

  • Hijackers and registry keys
    ... We have AVG free ... version and we have Ad-Aware. ... registry keys. ... We put it in Quarantine to make sure that ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Hijackers and registry keys
    ... We have AVG free ... Sometimes there seems to be things that attach ... >> registry keys. ... We put it in Quarantine to make sure ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Opening html file etc.
    ... Eustace wrote: ... When I click at a local html file I get an alert like: ... I run Ad-aware and it found 2 registry keys and 1 registry value ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Need help removing Backdoor.ProRat virus
    ... and the report is empty. ... and it gives the affected registry keys. ... So Ad-Aware sees these registry keys. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Opening html file etc.
    ... When I click at a local html file I get an alert like: ... Windows cannot find 'C:\my files\webpage.html'. ... Since the 2 problems appeared at about the same time, I tend to think they are connected, and may also connected with the registry keys, since it's very rare that Ad-Aware find anything else then cookies. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)