conflict

From: an0nym0us_p0ster (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/09/04

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:07:28 -0700

I have Norton and I've never seen NORTONUPD.exe running on
my computer. Navapsvc.exe, NPROTECT.exe, and others, yes,
but never a NORTONUPD.exe. I also did a search for this
file on my computer and I don't have it. The fact that you
don't even have Norton installed is another red flag that
this might be malware.

A search on Symantec's site doesn't even show results for
a NORTONUPD.exe so this indicates that it is not a
Symantec/Norton process.

Another way to find out is to locate what folder this
NORTONUPD.exe is found in. If it isn't in a folder
with "Symantec" in the name of that folder, that's another
indication that this is malware.

A malware file might try to disguise itself by using a
name that is benign-sounding. For example, we all know
that Ad-aware is a wonderful and reputable spyware
scanner/cleaner. You might see adaware.exe running and
think it's not malware. In fact, it is: it's a variant of
the RapidBlaster parasite. The "real" and legitimate
process associated with Ad-aware is Ad-aware.exe (notice
how they look the same but the real one has the hyphen in
it). This NORTONUPD.exe might be malware (in fact, I'm
pretty convinced it is based on what I mentioned here
already) and it is trying to pass itself off as safe by
using the name NORTON.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Norton System Works 2007
    ... of Norton can be more tricky. ... very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option. ... Real-time AV applications - for viral malware. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: to reformat or to try manual removal...
    ... | going with the "if I scan and find just ADWARE/SPYWARE that say, Norton can't ... The following is a good tool for removing viruses, Trojans and some other malware... ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Vistas mind of its own
    ... It sounds like you have a virus or some spyware or malware. ... I also normally run with a paid subscription to Spyware Doctor which is a real-time scanner and does run in the background. ... I doubt very much that what you're seeing are Vista issues. ... Microsoft Essentials does the equivalent of Norton as far as 'real-time' protection goes? ...
  • Re: Vistas mind of its own
    ... It sounds like you have a virus or some spyware or malware. ... I also normally run with a paid subscription to Spyware Doctor which is a real-time scanner and does run in the background. ... I doubt very much that what you're seeing are Vista issues. ... Essentials does the equivalent of Norton as far as 'real-time' protection goes? ...
  • Re: I need to recover "deleted" logon accounts
    ... two xp logon accounts. ... to reformat the HD and do a re-install of just WinXP Home (sp2) with NortonAV ... There may be a bigger problem, even if you can get the immediate issue fixed, the computer could be compromised with malware. ... Whatever you decide to do, once the system is running again I suggest you image it using something like Acronis True Image Home version 10 or Norton Ghost, saving the image on an external hard drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)