Re: stolen operating system

From: Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\) (Torgeir.Bakken-spam_at_hydro.com)
Date: 09/09/04

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:09:09 +0200

MarlaJo wrote:

> In the response to the last post, the enquiry regarding MS & pirating
> software / multiple installs and uses of a single license was acknowledged
> but was left unanswered. Can you please explain how MS can detect multiple
> installs/uses of a single-use application license agreement and, if not, what
> is to stop anyone from so doing?
Hi

It is described here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

In short, it creates a hardware hash (will be unique for each
computer), and this hash together with the Product Key (SP1 and up)
is transmitted to Microsoft. Note that after 120 days, this record
is purged from Microsoft's database.

Also note that for all computers from the larger OEM suppliers (Dell,
IBM, HP, Gateway, Sony etc.), no information is sent to Microsoft at
all, no Product Key, no hardware hash, no nothing, they do not need to
activate online. This because they use a BIOS locked CD/Product Key.
When the OS installed with e.g. Dells OEM CD/Product Key boots up and
finds a Dell BIOS, it will automatically activate the Windows Product.

So, at least for laptops, this tracking functionality you sought after
is pretty moot because almost all laptops sold are from these larger
OEMs so there is no information about them stored at Microsoft (and
for those computer that does activate online, the data is gone after
120 days, but that time line could be extended of course).

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

  • Re: Anti-Piracy issues
    ... Now the interesting part about this whole piracy ... crashes and they need to reinstall, technically their product key is still ... product key has already been activated, please contact Microsoft. ... > anti-piracy website and I've spent 3 days on this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: TFS 2008 upgrade problem.
    ... Welcome to Microsoft Newsgroup Service. ... Clear the Original Product Key ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • RE: TFS 2008 upgrade problem.
    ... Welcome to Microsoft Newsgroup Service. ... Clear the Original Product Key ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: Cant Install Microsoft Works
    ... My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002 ... I assume they have detected from your product key that the version you have ... The copy you have is an Original Equipment Manufacturer copy, ... tries to install using the same key, Microsoft disables the whole series :-) ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Reinstalling current version of XP Pro with legal Product Key
    ... purpose, when I want to obtain upgrades and fixes from Microsoft Update, will ... having the OEM Product Key tell Microsoft Update that I own a unique license ... > The construction of the key itself will tell if you have OEM or Retail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)