Re: Passwords

From: lllusion (yeahright_at_microsoft.com)
Date: 09/06/04

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:24:53 +0200

In article <020e01c492ee$1dcccf90$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> How can I activate a password on a windows 98SE standalone
> system so that you MUST use a password to access the
> computer. I can set up a password, but all you have to do
> is hit escape or cancel and you bypass the login screen
> and get right into the system. I want it set up so that
> no password = no access!

Use Policies!
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/368/12/toc.html
http://www.zisman.ca/poledit/
http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&q=poledit+98&meta=

As others mentioned, win98 really isn't meant for security. However, in
some situations, and if you get sly with poledit, you can lock out the
majority of geeks who walk up to the terminal. It takes some patience
and good testing to be able to make a solid policy for win98 but it is
possible. If you have VMware you can easily test each policy and roll-
back if you've overdone yourself. Be sure that you implement only one or
two changes at a time so that you know what affects each change has
done. And be sure to document each change you make!!!

Good luck. :)

--
Howie
"The very belief that violence is unavoidable