RE: Cool Web Search hijacker - help required

From: Psygnotic WraithenBlade (PsygnoticWraithenBlade_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 09/06/04

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:55:02 -0700

There's another way of getting this extremely annoying program to "bugger"
off. Do everything that was advised by everyone else but you have to perform
these functions under "safe mode" which means that you to reboot to this
mode. Run all your antivirus programs as well as CWShredder twice, also run
the STINGER utility from AVERT! which is a free program distributed by
Norton. Once all of these procedures have been met, use RegSeeker to clean
out and fix any inconsistencies. Reboot to normal mode and do the previous
procedures again, there is nothing wrong with overkill I say. Personally, if
I ever find out who writes these trojans, adware, spyware, hijackers, worms
etc etc. they should be castrated and sent to Leavenworth for life under
solitary confinement.

I hope this helps and good luck.

"Ady" wrote:

> Can anyone help. I have the Cool Web Search adware
> programme on my computer and have tried all sorts to
> remove it (Norton, Spysweeper and the Lavasoft stuff).
> Nothing gets shot of it and I can hardly use the web.
>
> Can anyone advise how I can kick out this thing?
>
> Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Bummer
    ... >>but I don't know how Norton allowed itself to be turned off. ... >Norton takes a couple minutes to activate when you reboot. ... Would Flash drives be considered reliable enough? ... Both units with the sensitive data have CD-RW drives. ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)
  • Re: new user to be
    ... Are there problems with uninstalling the Norton AV that will come with my computer--from Dell, ... but nagging problems will fix themselves when you reboot. ... Is there any protocol for this ng about top-posting or bottom posting? ... all else fails is second nature to me. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: problem saving with Microsoft Word in Office on G5 with 10.3.7 OSX
    ... I would reboot every so ... My G5 runs 24/7 so I the system maintenance tasks ... but Virex comes with dot-Mac so I use it. ... I too have become a bit disenchanted with Norton. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: windows wont boot / safemode wont boot
    ... suggested by someone I know to remove the Norton installation folder but I ... Interested in what you said about reloading the original registry hive, ... to Safe Mode and choose the optional mode "Last Known..." ... mouse pointer then once again defaults into reboot. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Major Problelm with Beta Technical Refresh
    ... Windows Defender is NOT an anti-virus program. ... If you end up having to remove NAV, download and install AVG. ... Is the only other option to simply remove Norton entirely and rely upon ... >> once I reboot the computer it still restores the Auto Protect and every ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)