Re: Ghost drive

From: S. Pidgorny (slavickp_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 09/05/04

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:14:29 +1000

Try to boot from alternative media and make backup copies of the data files.
Then format, reinstall the OS and restore the data files - checking them for
viruses right away.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-
"Pev" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>   #1    Today, 06:04 AM
> Pev
> New Member   Join Date: Sep 2004
>
> Virus created ghost drive on my PC

> ----------------------
>
> I have a virus on my PC that has created a ghost drive -
> G drive. The PC boots up with this drive and if I try to
> look at the properties on G drive the PC reboots. The
> virus also created ghost network adaptors. I had this
> virus about 4 months ago and after a lot of hassle
> managed to format my C drive which it had partitioned to
> create the ghost drive. The log on & and shut down
> windows are displayed as a variation of the genuine XP
> log on/shut down windows but the shutdown icon only
> restarts the PC again & I have to hold in the start
> button to shut it down. I have tried running in safe mode
> but the G drive is displayed as full but with 0 kb and
> cannot be deleted.
> This time though the recovery disk has no affect and I
> cannot format the C drive with a MS-DOS disk. I have
> tried taking out the C drive and using it as a slave
> drive in anothe PC in order to get rid of the
> virus/problem but that only caused the virus to start to
> infect the other PC so I shut it down and the checkdisk
> utility had to correct the 2nd PC. Any suggestions as to
> how to get rid of this virus/problem or how to install
> the infected C drive into my othe PC without it firing up
> the infected OS would be much appreciated.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: O/T - Update on my PC woes
    ... I can now make it boot up, but when it does so it's like there is no ... It is unlikely to be a virus or anything wrong with your hardware from ... do not need to format the disk, but it sounds like you may have system/ ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Problems restoring. Virus or what?
    ... Sometime I would boot it and it ... Is it possible that I have a virus ... >>a low level format cannot take care of. ... >well such third party disk managers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: XP rebooting
    ... > A long shot maybe but perhaps a virus in the master boot record. ... > reinstalled did you simply format the partition or did you delete the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Vista Home Premium wont re-install
    ... > format the drive to get rid of the virus as the repair from my dvd> would ... I then tried to install Vista again and it got through to the> very ... now the system wont boot from the disc or the hard drive. ...
  • Re: Installing XP
    ... I would save all of my data files, etc., boot from the XP CD, format ... You have to have the CD drive set as the first boot device in the BIOS ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)