Re: Best Security Software for Windows 98 computer?

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 09/02/04

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:09:45 -0400

Windows 98 is going to have more and more unpatched vulnerabilities, only
critical ones are being patched.

Why pay for security software? www.grisoft.com and others offer free
anti-virus, and www.kerio.com, www.sygate.com and www.zonealarm.com offer
free firewall software, all respected. You'll find that sooner or later,
anti-virus companies will all stop supporting Windows 98.

What constitutes "best" depends on your preferences and your needs /
requirements.

"Mazpaz" <Mazpaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help?
>
> I'm trying to find the most compatible security software for my Windows 98
> computer.
>
> Have read reviews about Norton Internet Security 2004 (which includes
virus
> protection/firewall and anti spam etc), which is just what I need and
> everyone says it does its job but has the tendency to slow the computer
down,
> these people are running Windows XP and am wondering if it will cause
Windows
> 98 to run even slower?!
>
> Panda Internet security seems to have a good reputation (but again these
> people are using Windows XP).
>
> Can anyone recomend any solutions?
> Thank you!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Vista
    ... It was SP1 that fixed Vista for me on my laptop when I was trialling it. ... have released this as the next release of windows and I'd have been happy ... You will find also that most, if not all, security software (eg. firewalls ... This all goes to help unauthorised access (that is unauthorised by the ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Not able to send or recieve e-mails in Windows Mail
    ... Trend Micro security software is one of the top three troublemakers ... >I have not been able to recieve or send e-mails since 6/26/08 in Windows> Mail. ... I had hoped the Windows updates which> were installed today would have solved the problem but no such luck. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Update error and spyware problems
    ... Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows) ... | me to buy malware and other security software. ... Even stops me downloading ... | microsoft updates and any free anti spyware I have tried to download. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: system cannot load Xp- msgina.dll failed to load.
    ... I have the same problem with my windows xp which happened after I installed ... some security software. ... win xp cd, but the system will just hang at a stage, it won't respond even to ...
  • Re: Computer Name can not be changed
    ... Norton Internet Security 2005 with Norton Antivirus 2005 ... I have no other security software running. ... I just installed this computer a few days ago, with windows xp home edition and the programs above. ... Tested it "in the Network" how? ...