Re: Virus/adware/spyware -- is there all-in-one protection in one program?

From: John Blaustein (no_at_spam.com)
Date: 06/21/04

Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:46:14 -0700

Kent, thank you.

I have all Windows Updates installed. I check the site regularly and have
Auto Updates enabled (in XP Home). I have a hardware firewall -- SonicWALL.
I use AVG Free Edition and check for updates every morning.

I will look at pivx.com. Clearly, I need some additional real-time
scanning.

The help you MVPs provide is invaluable. My sincere thanks to all of the
MVPs.

John

"Kent W. England [MVP]" <kwe@mvps.org> wrote in message
> John Blaustein wrote:
> > Having had to deal with a virus that my AV program didn't find, I am
curious
> > if anyone has found an "all-in-one" program to prevent viruses, adware,
> > spyware, etc.?
>
> You need Windows critical updates, a firewall, and an anti-virus program
> as Microsoft suggests, but until SP2 comes out (and perhaps after) you
> need tools to protect your browser. Anti-virus companies just aren't
> doing it in their products.
>
> I like www.pivx.com Quik-Fix and SpywareGuard for real-time protection
> and Ad-aware and Spybot for routine scanning. But you also have to keep
> up with news about IE vulnerabilities and known exploits to become aware
> of your current vulnerabilities even with these aforementioned
protections.

> --
> Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virus/adware/spyware -- is there all-in-one protection in one program?
    ... Kent, thank you. ... I have all Windows Updates installed. ... I have a hardware firewall -- SonicWALL. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Port blockage or ????
    ... WinXP Pro clients all MS updates ... I'm attempting to connect to a selected port on a Windows 2003 SBS server. ... I'm thinking it's a block port (hardware firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Downloading all updates after SP2
    ... > Is it possible to down load ALL the updates after SP2 in one hit. ... > there was an awful lot of updates to install (I stopped counting at ... > Where can i go to download all of the updates (i have a list from ... > Windows Update that i printed off before i abandoned the update on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • WARNING LONG - Brian Livingstons take on Windows Genuine Advantage
    ... Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware ... Some tech writers have said categorizing WGA as spyware is arguable. ... It causes serious problems for some legitimate Windows users and was sprung on customers with no notice other than a press release the day before. ... If an instance of Windows doesn't seem to have a valid license, display notices to the user and prevent any updates being downloaded from Microsoft.com except security upgrades that are rated "Critical." ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Creating a Update CD for Distro
    ... > to my offline users that includes Windows Updates, ... will - over time - download and install what they need for them. ... better informed about your options when it comes to the Windows Updates. ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)