Re: trojan horse problem?

From: John Keithley (JBKNOSPAM_at_$.com)
Date: 05/29/04

Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:43:26 -0400

Symantec doesn't not recognize any security products except their own.

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=hp&langid=ie&venid=hp

> Well, I proceeded thinking that nothing would come of it since I've been
> updating and running the above programs religiously. Under the security
> check, symantec said that I didn't have a firewall installed and I didn't
> have any anti virus program installed and advised me to install both. It
> suggested Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall.
>
> Under the anti virus section it found a trojan horse in the following
file:
> c:\windows\Application

Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\V1.0\jar\counter.jar-bfc4edd-6b18bb8b.
> zip. A while back I remember avg screen popping up saying it found a
virus
> relating to the above, but the screen shut down immediately and went back
> windows. Is it safe to delete the above file? Is this a legit file that
> should be cleaned rather than deleted? If so, how do I go about cleaning
> the file since none of the programs I'm running detects it.
>
> BTW Is the fact that symantec not finding any anti virus and firewall
just
> some kind of gimmick to get you to try their products?
>

> --
> Thanks for your time and patience, RC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: trojan horse problem?
    ... Symantec did find one open port. ... >> advised me to go to 'symantec security check' web site and check my ... symantec said that I didn't have a firewall installed and I ... >> have any anti virus program installed and advised me to install both. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: trojan horse problem?
    ... > advised me to go to 'symantec security check' web site and check my ... symantec said that I didn't have a firewall installed and I didn't ... > have any anti virus program installed and advised me to install both. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Security Centre Icon Gone After Upgrading Symantec
    ... > * We installed Symantec Security Client, ... but disabled the Firewall cause we don't need it. ... > the Windows firewall and that it wasn't needed because of the Symantec ...
  • Re: Multiple Symantec Firewall Secure Webserver timeout DoS
    ... Symantec Firewall Secure Webserver timeout DoS ... Advanced IT-Security, a Scandinavian security consultancy, notified ... name CAN-2002-0990 to the SEF HTTP_CONNECT Secure Webserver DoS. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • trojan horse problem?
    ... Running grisoft free version av. ... advised me to go to 'symantec security check' web site and check my system's ... symantec said that I didn't have a firewall installed and I didn't ... have any anti virus program installed and advised me to install both. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)