Spyware

anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com
Date: 05/28/04

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:35:54 -0700

First off, be careful with anti-spyware programs that
CLAIM to help, but do more harm than good. Many are out
there and too many to name here, but I'll just give you
two programs that ARE safe, reputable, and great to use.

Download/install Ad-aware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy
(preferably both). Read up on both of these programs to
fully utilize both.

Since you seem to be new at fighting spyware, I would
suggest getting Ad-aware first; it seems to me, in my
opinion, to be more user-friendly towards users who are
new at this sort of thing. Plus, the Ad-aware message
forum (http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/) is a great place
for help; everyone there seems very helpful and friendly.

Then get Spybot Search & Destroy when you feel more
comfortable with what's going on and how these programs
work.

Both of these programs have been around for a long time,
are reputable, and are the most popular and trusted anti-
spyware programs to have. There is no equal to them, in my
opinion.

Make sure to get the latest of both; Ad-aware Personal 6.0
(Build 6.181) and Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3, and get the
latest updates to them (through these programs themselves).

There are paid versions available, but you can get the
free versions if you are using them for personal use (they
have less options than the paid versions, but are
wonderful, nonetheless); donations are welcome to support
the free versions.

You can download both at PCWorld.com

Good luck!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: xp pro.. windows explorer error ...user32.dll
    ... i use ad-aware and update it every day. ... >STEPS TO REMOVE EASY SPYWARE and ADWARE - TRY FIRST ... updates each new day ... Hit Next or Finish to quarantine items found. ...
  • Re: using search, locks me up???
    ... Use Ad-Aware, MSAS and/or Spybot Search & Destroy to remove it. ... LSPFix- all versions of Windows http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.zip ... Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-spyware- removed the spyware. ...
  • Re: Blocking Certain Proccesses Completly
    ... >> I ran Ad-Aware 6.0 and it found serious amounts of stuff and then successfully quarantined and deleted the bad stuff. ... >> Stirling Technical Engineering Ltd. ... >>> If it's spyware, remove it ... the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet ...
  • Re: trouble with XPs deleting temp files
    ... hand, spyware, adware, and viruses often will. ... Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download a free copy of Ad-Aware. ... (be sure and check for updates each new day ... Hit Next or Finish to quarantine items found. ...
  • Re: iexplore.exe is hanging
    ... Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download a free copy of Ad-Aware. ... (be sure and check for updates each new day ... hit Next. ... spyware, ...