Make my computer secure

From: Cecil Ward (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 04:30:01 -0700

If you are getting "bad mails" then it's not just about
your computer.

1. You should first of all change to a good email service
provider, one that is i) trustworthy and does not sell
your email address, ii) has server-side anti-spam
filtering facilities, and iii) has anti-virus facilities
so that nuisance emails are filtered out before they ever
get to you.

If you are using email for business you should look at an
email service provider that offers server-side filtering
rules.

2. Consider using two email addresses. Your main one
should be kept private and not be revealed in public or
quoted to people that you do not know and trust. Use your
second email address in other situations and be prepared
to change it if it starts becoming abused. You just
exposed your main email address publicly when you posted
to this newsgroup. Don't.

3. Do not put your main email address up on your own
website.

4. Do not ever reply to spam.

5. Use the right email program. Use a real email program
such as Microsoft Outlook 2003, which has very good anti-
spam facilities built in and strong security in the face
of malicious attachments. Forget Webmail it is a waste of
time and is insecure, so forget HOTMAIL and MSN and those
services. Remember that all good email service providers
offer webmail as an additional feature whilst allowing
you to use a real email program, so there is no advantage
in services like hotmail. As for Outlook Express, don't
use it - upgrade to Outlook 2003, it's well worth the
money.

Hope this helps,
Cecil Ward.
http://www.cecilward.com

Relevant Pages

  • Use Dada Mail or PHPList with Bluehost to send your email
    ... Email service like Dada Mail and PHPlist allows you to schedule and limit the per/hour send so you don't go over your limit. ... How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50 ... Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ... If you must send out more emails,then break your lists down to whatever your ISP limits and send 10 to 20 emails with 25 recipients each. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Services Unavailable
    ... I had to uninstall IE6 and in doing so, when I tried to use Outlook98 I ... services, and properties for an email service, all you would get would ... I then tried uninstalling Outlook through ... During the installation I could see the Corporate/Workgroup ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Outlook 2k with a Cable Modem?
    ... with Outlook Express, the new mail service provider has to enable POP ... If you are using the same email service ... > Can I use outlook 2k on a cable modem? ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: How to set outlook security to allow outside program to send email
    ... I will not know what email service will be used. ... DSL service provider. ... One of my computer has outlook 2000 and the MAPI ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Messenger 6.06 - ReplyTo Header
    ... I'm a VM customer too, but I've never used their email service, just their ... I have hundreds of outgoing addresses and didn't ... I send my mails from fastmail.fm's SMTP ... server; I have a full-blown account with this company because I want some of ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)