Security Advice Wanted!

From: mike3 (mike4ty4_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/26/04

    Date: 26 Apr 2004 01:30:56 -0700

    Hi!

    What would one do in the event of a security compromise scenario like
    this:

    You have a serious security problem. Your computer's performance
    suddenly drops after you installed a new set of games. System logs
    show numerous "IP Spoof", etc. errors. AV software shows ten
    mass-mailing worms, and your friends are complaining about the crap.
    You then discover that your registry is being altered and the worms
    just keep hitting and you do't know what to do. Then all hell breaks
    loose. After another reboot for installing more security tools you get
    a strange boot message before the OS loads: "Warning, SMART has
    detected that a hard drive failure may be imminent. Please back up
    your data immediately.". And it keeps happening. Further examinations
    of system files show that rogue malware has insterd itself into the
    operating system and is rummaging through data, disguised as system
    files. Files later begin sisappearing and being replaced with things
    like "C_saaaaaaa.f.f.f" with sizes of 2.00 GB. Others got weird
    content like as "HITHEREHITHEREHITHEREHITHEREHACKOHACKOHACKOHACKO"
    etc. (repeating over and over again). You have backups of all
    important data from just before you installed the fateful software, so
    you don't have to worry about loosing your important files. But
    there's credit card numbers stored on here and you're afraid of
    personal information compromise. Then when you try and boot up again,
    you get "BIOS: Failure on Hard Disk 0" and the system hangs.

    What would I have to do in this or a similar scenario? I didn't
    actually have this happen, but I would want to know what to do in the
    case of such a dire breach like this so I can be prepared for a very
    serious problem like this.

    • Re: Security Advice Wanted!
      ... > - Call credit card companies and cancel the accounts. ... >> You have a serious security problem. ... After another reboot for installing more security tools you get ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Security Advice Wanted!
      ... > - Call credit card companies and cancel the accounts. ... >> You have a serious security problem. ... After another reboot for installing more security tools you get ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • IT Security Administrator in Bend, OR
      ... workstations as well as physical security for I/T systems. ... manages network security software and hardware. ... Extensive experience with Windows 2000/2003 servers and Exchange ... Two years experience configuring, installing and implementing VMWare ...
      (comp.arch)
    • Re: Security Update for MS XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2(KB
      ... Security Update installed on my PC on 4/17 (it was the day after I saw the ... But, after the Re-boot, Windows Update showed KB941833 as an Available ... You asked me to Post the name of the Security Software; ... keep installing and Updated to Vista Home Prem SP1 ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Yet more Windows XP security patches
      ... Alias wrote: ... >> otherhand it may keep your computer up and running by not installing ... >>> A security issue has been identified in the Plug and Play service ... >>> your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)