Re: Close Ports

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (
Date: 03/25/04

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 06:44:55 -0500

There's no way to answer this question without knowing what ports were
found. Running fport or vision from may in
some cases help you figure out which services or programs to stop or
reconfigure. You can also search and as a lot of people ask this question.

"Tom McErlane" <> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm trying to get some information about how I can specifically close
> that are listening. I ran the NetStat utility and noticed quite a few
> on my machine were listening. These ports were in the registered ports
> range. When I went to the IANA website to see who the ports were
> to, 4 of the listening ports on my machine were unregistered. I would
> to know how I can close those ports so they won't be a security threat.
> Thank you very much for all your help.
> Tom

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Starting iptables
    ... it is not clear that you need a firewall at all. ... just don't open any ports. ... "netstat -putl" will let you find out what listening ports are open. ... mysql is listening on tcp port 3306. ...
  • Re: UPHClean log question
    ... A quick check to see which ports the computer is listening on is to run ... > Windows Firewall saying that the application svchost.exe has been blocked ... > extract from UPHClean might indicating a specific problem that should be ...
  • Re: UDP Ports, closing Win2K Server (No IIS)
    ... What's listening on UDP 995? ... The worm spreads via email but some antivirus vendors report ... against using IPSec as a firewall, and blocking just one or two ports here ...
  • Re: Win2k Netstat sockets interpretation
    ... I have deleted "file and print sharing" under "internet connections and disbled most recognizable "remote access" services under 'services.msc' but ZA detects a few remote access modules running and gives them permission if select "OK" to the suggested query. ... notice randomly ports assigned to urls or ip addresss. ... 'netstat' on Win2K provides a view on the state of the *TDI interface*, ... something appearing as listening means "an outstanding request to ...
  • Re: Many Connections from each Web Client
    ... In case inetinfo.exe is listening on random ports, have you enabled FTP ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...