Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Release for February 2, 2004

From: Tedd Riggs (T_Riggs_at_MSN)
Date: 02/03/04

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:02:53 -0800

I must be going blind in my old age Mae...missed that, plus about 2 mins
after posting I got the email from Microsoft that very clearly says all the
OS's affected...
Oh well.......thanks !

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer
"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
Seems clear to me:
Affected Components:
Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1: Download the update.
This is a cumulative update that includes the functionality of all the
previously-released updates for Internet Explorer 5.01, Internet Explorer
5.5, and Internet Explorer 6.0.
As with the previous Internet Explorer cumulative updates that were released
with bulletins MS03-004, MS03-015, MS03-020, MS03-032, MS03-040, and
MS03-048, this cumulative update
Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (All versions earlier than
Windows Server 2003)
Why is the update available for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me)?
Security updates for these platforms would normally be available by request
through assisted support channels, however since the issues repaired in this
bulletin were reported publicly prior to this announcement the Internet
Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 version of this patch will be supported on those
operating systems for this release.
mae
---------------------------
"Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@MSN,C0M> wrote in message
| Jerry,
| The one thing that is very confusing on this one, if you go to the URL
that
| you stated for TechNet MS04-004, it only lists the patch as needed by the
| newer OS's, no mention of Windows 2000, ME or Windows 98 (it also has a
| little comment about end of life software and not tested)  So if you do
not
| have the newer software, it sounds like you do not need it, however my
| AutoUpdate on Windows 98SE did not work, but when I went there the old
| fashioned way, it said that my Win98SE does need the patch and downloaded
| it.
| Would it not be better if the MS Bulletin listed the OS's that is effects
?
| It does just list IE6 as a option, but no other versions of Windows.
| Thanks !
| Tedd
|
| --
| Tedd Riggs
| PDA Square Content Developer
| www.pdasquare.com
|

| "Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > (follow up set to microsoft.public.security)
| >
| > Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s).
| >
| > Note: www.microsoft.com/technet/security and www.microsoft.com/security
| are
| > authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins!
ANY

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/winfeb04.asp

| > Critical Bulletins:
| >
| > MS04-004 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (832894)
| > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-004.asp
| >

| > This DOES NOT represents our regularly scheduled monthly bulletin
release
| > (second Tuesday of each month). Please note that Microsoft may release
| > bulletins out side of this schedule if we determine the need to do so.
| >
| > If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation
after
| > reading the above listed bulletin you should contact Product Support
| > Services in the United States at 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338).
| > International customers should contact their local subsidiary.
| >
| > --
| > Regards,
| >
| > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
| > Microsoft IT Communities

| rights.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Probable spyware problem
    ... > when i open the internet explorer, and is causing the google, yahoo ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ...
  • Re: regedit
    ... >> internet explorer has always been set with that link as default.I ... > Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... > keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ... > I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Quick review of MS AntiSpywear reputed functionality
    ... Judging by the help from specific Microsoft private newsgroups ... ... And it searches for the bad guys in the Windows registry ... ... It will save the scan history if you enable that option ... ... Internet Explorer Explorer Bars, Internet Explorer Extensions, ... ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Quick review of MS AntiSpywear reputed functionality
    ... Judging by the help from specific Microsoft private newsgroups ... ... And it searches for the bad guys in the Windows registry ... ... It will save the scan history if you enable that option ... ... Internet Explorer Explorer Bars, Internet Explorer Extensions, ... ...
    (alt.computer.security)