Re: dangerous e-mail re-direct

From: jimf (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/29/03

    Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:49:52 -0800

    Wow, thats a great tool. Thanks very much, Jupiter.
    Maybe IE should by default warn a user if there is an
    embedded user%password in the url.

    message
    >> I received a fake e-mail from "microsoft". It
    originated
    >> from ip address 199.77.141.79. It has the typical
    message
    >> about needing to validate information. When you
    >> choose "Click here", you are sent
    >> to "http://badkey.mircosoft.ch". This, in turn,
    redirects
    >> you to "http://www.cancelprojects.com/ms/indexa.html".
    >> The scary part is the Adress field of Internet Explorer
    >> says that you are at "https://badkey.microsoft.com",
    and
    >> IE says that this page is secure, etc. Normally I just
    >> ignore such e-mails or check them out to see the
    >> misspellings :) But this one surprised me because the
    url
    >> really shows Microsoft.com. I leave it up to the pro's
    >> investigate and stop this kind of abuse. If you need
    any
    >> more information, please respond in this newsgroup and
    >> I'll provide it.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim F
    >

    >.

    • Re: dangerous e-mail re-direct
      ... Jupiter Jones [MVP] ... An easier way to read newsgroup messages: ... > I received a fake e-mail from "microsoft". ... > about needing to validate information. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Please Help! Log-on Password Problem
      ... Jupiter: I can't get past the password even if I leave ... >An easier way to read newsgroup messages: ... I tried booting ... >> admin, but still a password is required. ...
    • Re: Access Denied... Grrrr!!!!
      ... Hi Jupiter, ... >If you did not back-up the encryption key or the ... >An easier way to read newsgroup messages: ... >Please respond to newsgroup only for everyone's benefit. ...
    • Re: Disc Cleanup Utility Windows XP Pro
      ... You're a genius!! ... > Jupiter Jones ... > An easier way to read newsgroup messages: ... I cancel the scanning process. ...
    • Re: Dont want auto download . . . How to change?
      ... Hey thanks Jupiter! ... An easy fix, once I new where to go! ... >See the bottom section of this link: ... >An easier way to read newsgroup messages: ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)